turbo for a 2.6 liter

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
John Massengale

turbo for a 2.6 liter

Post by John Massengale »

Hello, My name is John, I go to Western Washington University, I built a 2.6 liter Porsche 914 Motor, 78mm by 103mm. It has JE Forged pistons, Pauter Machine 1.48 to 1 ratio rockers, The compression ratio is at 7.3 to 1. It has Dual Webers 44mms. I have them jetted. I have a turbo I want to put on it in a blow through application. I have TURBOMANIA and read it. The book is very helpful, but in almost all cases the modifications are told in the use of Dellorto carburators. I have Webers, it says that the Webers don't have any room to machine to put seals on the shafts. I do have the option to use a air dam. (pipeing boost air to the shafts), Dose this work well? I would rather not have the loss of air. I don't plan to use more than about 10 psi. Do any of you guys have any experience using Weber 44s in a blow through application? I plan on using the Webers, modular rings, smaller air jets, and maybe water-alki salutuion injection. Also do you know if the float can be used or do I need one that won't crush. I guess the main questions are have you guys used the Weber 44s for this? What did you have to do to them? And where did you get the parts, seals and machine work done? Am I better off starting off with Dellortos? Thank you for any input and help. I am close to Seattle in Washington State. Thanks again
DJ

turbo for a 2.6 liter

Post by DJ »

Hi,

I've got two suggestions,

1. replace the webbers for dual efi throttle bodies (depending on your budget)
or
2. replace the dual webbers for a single sidedraught webber and make the system a draw through. with this arrangement placement of the turbo will be important because the charged intake will be carrying fuel as well as air.

Obviously everything is dependant on your budget and system requirements.

just my 2 cents
cheers
DJ
John Massengale

turbo for a 2.6 liter

Post by John Massengale »

Yes of course this is anyones dream, Electronic Fuel Injection with dual throttle bodies, and a turbo on that. You are right it cost a hek of a lot. The pull through is old and used a lot but it is usable on buggies and sand rails, mine is a 63 strret bug. I would love to buy a complete system, but I plan to convert my carbs to do the job. Acording to TURBOMANIA it is totally possible, not limited to 5psi anymore. I just called European Motorworks and he said it is commom with Webers now as Dellorto was made to fill demand that Weber could notsatisfy fast enuf. I guess I will use an air dam by pipeing boost to the shafts. He also said the floats are study in the IDFs like mine but the IDAs are hollow. I hope that smaller air jets and modular rings will do it, water injection also. I said befor that I will use a max of about 10psi. Well if anyone has been in the same boat as me and has some advise on doing this please help me learn from your doings. John Massengale