091 for sale or trade

panin

091 for sale or trade

Post by panin »

091 side shift tranny. I will like to sale or trade for single 40 Italian weber or single EMPI 44 weber. This is one heavy item. I am located in Killeen, TX. I have had this tranny since i pulled from a running van at a military junk yard in Illesheim, Germany while stationed there. This was about 10 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luis
63 T1 Sedan
Killeen, TX
turboblue

Re: 091 for sale or trade

Post by turboblue »

That tranny is from an 80 to 83-1/2 air cooled Vanagon.
Can be converted to end shift with the appropriate parts from an end shift 091.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
panin

Post by panin »

Thank you for the info. I forgot what year vehicle I got it from, it’s been so long. I do have the engine matching this tranny as well (in pieces).
One question: As is and installed on a non-T2 vehicle, what application this tranny will be at its best? Street or off-road? I ask because my long term goal was to use it on a dune buggy but…
Luis
63 T1 Sedan
Killeen, TX
fusername

Post by fusername »

its a real nice trans, still has as weak a reverse as any other ACVW trans, but the beefiest stock manual transmission VW made. too bad it doesn't have a LSD in it though, then it would be killer.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
panin

Post by panin »

Its it possible to install LSD?
Luis
63 T1 Sedan
Killeen, TX
fusername

Post by fusername »

yeah there was an 091 LSD available from teh factory. i think bruce2 even has a couple, but i am afraid to ask what they cost. very rare in the US I hear, but much more common in germany, and if you got that from a military junk yard....
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
panin

Post by panin »

Back then (80-90s) each military installation has its own area where all cars left behind (whatever the reason) by soldiers get storage until vehicle paperwork is cleared either to sell at auction or for scrap metal. I knew the guy in charge and ask him if I could have the engine, he said yes as long I can do it in 30 mins max. Off I went to pull the engine by myself and a 10 Tons forklift as a backup. Somehow the transmission came right along with the engine.
Sometimes , strange things happen… hence the fact I cannot remember the year/model of vehicle. :roll:
I will research the serial number on tranny and see what I can find or even contact bruce2 to see if he can share a light.
Luis
63 T1 Sedan
Killeen, TX
panin

Post by panin »

FWIW, Here are the serial numbers on the tranny.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luis
63 T1 Sedan
Killeen, TX
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

is it an air cooled engine or a wasser boxer if its air cooled its at latest an 83 if its water could be older.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

ajdenette wrote:is it an air cooled engine or a wasser boxer if its air cooled its at latest an 83 if its water could be older.
You mean newer.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
fusername

Post by fusername »

those numbers are just part numbers for that part of the trans. assuming 091s are stamped the same way as a bug, there should be a stamped number, not a cast number, somewhere on it, couldn't tell you where, but I think its usually on the bottom. probably so it can be seen while the trans is still installed.

turboblue

Post by turboblue »

Yeah here is the style ID number on those trannys.

Can't remember exactly where but they should be down low on the case on a pad that is stamped.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page