WTB: Vanagon automatic N Texas or southern OK

Moderators: david58, Daniel G

Piledriver

WTB: Vanagon automatic N Texas or southern OK

Post by Piledriver » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm

WTB: need Vanagon auto, axles and tq converter.
Last edited by Piledriver on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

Piledriver

Re: WTB: T3 automatic N Texas or southern OK

Post by Piledriver » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:09 am

Really?

Nobody has a dead automatic to sell?
I'd settle for a late diff housing, 003s from Cabriolets are free with a cup of coffee and the auto can bolts on.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 am

bumping.

helowrench

Post by helowrench » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 am

what are you building?

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 am

The old SSC trans probably won't make it through all 4 gears with the 2.5L attached and at WOT.
Even if i leave it NA, which is not the Evil Plan.

... and a properly built stockish 003 will still take 350+ ft lb... and I have no intention of spending ~$5K on a T1 trans that still won't last long when all the parts to build out a 003 can be had for a couple hundred bucks, and easy DIY.

It will also bolt in, and Ray's providing a 3.67 R&P.

If I cant find one its getting the 090 out of my Vanagon, even has the right axles on it for the 944 rear suspension...
but the 1:1/4.09 gearing doesn't thrill me, but that can be built to take any amount of power a VW engine would ever make including a W12.(at least NA). The wife would also be pissed, as she wants the Vanagon back on the road.
(probably my next project, I think it wants a VR6 or EZ3.0, on an 090 with taller R&P)

You can get 3.21 and 3.40 R&Ps for the 090, but they are a couple grand, and its still really too long and total overkill for the square or 914, although still a better plan than a fully built T1 or 914 trans setup destined to eat ring gears or snap the case in half, not to mention probably requiring a $Kbuck in a dual disk clutch/flywheel alone.

I intend to drive this pile, thus the required suspension/wheel/tire/brake upgrades, they are done, now the transmission is the last prerequisite before the motor gets finished and stuffed
(engine has been mocked up, have all the parts, the MS3 is already in the car for years).