Priced just right

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Kubelmann

Priced just right

Post by Kubelmann »

Here is an example of what the value of a VW Thing is as of 2007

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=443055

This car is priced just right in my opinion.
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

That's really crusty, but I suppose more affordable than the ones on Barrett-Jackson...
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Really crusty is about what you get for $3K Unless you get lucky or get one from someone who is unaware of a Things current value.
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

Kubelmann wrote:Really crusty is about what you get for $3K Unless you get lucky or get one from someone who is unaware of a Things current value.
True, I'd just hope that someone looking at $3000 Things is aware of how much work (and $$$) are ahead of him...
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

I agree. I have been part way through a Thing and wondered what I had gotten myself into and why.. A Thing that has been messed with and is missing many parts can be a severe challenge to build. There is a Thing for sale in Bend OR that has only a Thing body and roll cage the rest is regular type one. That would be no fun to restore..
CapnDavy

Post by CapnDavy »

$3000 for a good THING? You'll pay more than that for a good '70's-'80's VESPA scooter :!:
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

As aways.. the body is the most important ..

$3k isn't a bad start
Motochris

Post by Motochris »

They are around....I picked this one up for $3500. It's a driver.

Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Very Nice especially for the price.
Cohibra45

Post by Cohibra45 »

Motochris,

Great pickup and price :D !!! However, I suspect that the price you paid is more the exception than the norm :wink: ...

These 'Things' like the Ghias are more and more harder to find in good shape and are increasing in price everyday. :D !!! They only made so many and they are getting harder to find without a lot of rust which translates into a lot of money :shock: !!!

I would suggest that if you find two for that price, you should sell one for double the amount and have a great one free 8) !!

Take care,

Kelly
Kelly (Cohibra45)

When only the BEST will do............

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

I got one for $1700 a few years ago. I drove home about 60 miles and drove it for 4 years prior to its current resto. It turned out to need both pans and more. Lots of work. Still a great deal.
Cohibra45

Post by Cohibra45 »

Maybe I didn't say it right. Happens alot sometimes. I need to choose my words more carefully. What I meant to say was, good deals are still around, but getting more and more scarce everyday. I am doing the same thing with my Ghia. I drove it for the last three or four years and am now about to put it up to do a full pan off resto-mod. I am really afraid of what I will find when I take the car down to metal :shock: !!!

If you find a 'rust' free Thing, I hope it is better than a 'rust' free Ghia. There is no such thing unless you personally know that someone took it down to the metal and replaced everything with new metal and then put on a LOT of Por-15 everywhere :D !!!

Take care,

Kelly
Kelly (Cohibra45)

When only the BEST will do............

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

I have a Ghia pal who claims that there is a factory VW guy that dents the front nose as part of the assembly line quality control.