Thing Pan Section Replacement

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Kubelmann

Thing Pan Section Replacement

Post by Kubelmann »

I am in the process of doing the final step to the Resto of Frau Kubel-Panzer. In the removal process of seat and interior, I have found more damage to the passenger side of the pan that I was aware. I have had two nice offers to repair the damage. With that, yesterday i started to take out the damaged area. Today I bit the bullet and bought a complete Danish right side full Thing pan. At this point I plan to replace the entire section without a body off and also plan to use the battery hold down and seat rails from the old pan. Any thoughts about this would be welcomed.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Passenger side cut out. New panel set in. Next I am going fo rthe Drivers side. Once you make one side perfect, so so on the other side sucks..

Got the driver's side pan today. I am pumped on resto..[/i]
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

we did one a bit ago.. over obsessed on the pan quality.. after it's all put together the pans are hidden a bit.

To hide pitting etc.. we sprayed with 3m bodyshutz liner... turned out incredible.

Tim
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Mine are the high dollar 18 gauge Danish pans. They are all the way in now. I will grind down the welds use sealer on the edges and coat both sides with POR-15. All the welded areas have aetching primer already. It looks great aslready adn will look even better when I am done.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Check out the pan replacement series going on in Hot VW. Also in the Sept 2007 issue is one awesome blue thing that is highlighted. Check it out!!!
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

How do you keep your pans from scuffing too bad.

Issue I've had with POR 15 on things is that it's not UV resistant and shiny reflects blemishes etc...

Any comments?
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

MNAirHead wrote:How do you keep your pans from scuffing too bad.

Issue I've had with POR 15 on things is that it's not UV resistant and shiny reflects blemishes etc...

Any comments?
You need to topcoat POR-15 if it's going to be exposed to sunlight. On my car, it's going to basically function as primer. :twisted:
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

POR-15 has a matte finsih coating that is my favorite for the exact reason you mentioned. As previously posted, you can always paint over the POR 15 if you use the correct paint. I am lookng at Herculiner for my current resto. At least for the interior on the new pans I just put in... We used Herculiner on the inside of the pan on our Prerunner and it has been holding tough since 2000 when we first started prerunning with it...
bhowden

Post by bhowden »

I don't have the answer for the ultimate pan coat but after 35 years of fixing VW's I am moving more towards looking for something that is not the ultimate bullet proof coating. There is a temptation to put on something that is harder than the hinges of hell and it feels good at the time. It feels good for a few years.... No matter what you put on and no matter how much you swear that this is the last restoration the car will ever get, sooner or later, you or some future owner will be trying to get that ultimate coating off again and it can be a real pain. I am starting to lean towards a good solid paint that can be stripped in the future. It needs replacement every few years but it is easy compared to something that lasts twice as long and then is hell to get off the dregs.

Brian
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

Good points, Brian. I feel the same way about rubber undercoating -- people think they're doing the right thing, spraying that stuff on. But it sure isn't your friend when the rust gets underneath and you need to get that crap off. :(
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

After having spent countless hours pulling off factory putty, there is definately to be said for using simple paint on body and frame.