Wiring(?) fire

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
wnewber

Wiring(?) fire

Post by wnewber »

I got our 1974 Thing out for the 1st time this year last week, and after a short drive we had a small fire in the engine compartment, back between the rear shroud and the firewall; which is odd since there's nothing back there to burn. It was a very small fire, so I was able to put the fire out with a a small bottle of water I had (our fire extinguisher had gone missing!). I trailered it home, and thinking a rodent of some sort may have built a nest back there, I dropped the engine to have a look.

Long story short, I found no signs of a rodent nest (or any other kind of nest) but the fire appeared to be just under or very near to the regulator; the plastic seal around the #3 plug wire was burned, as was the wiring coming to the regulator from the wiring harness, and to a lesser extent the wiring going from the regulator to the Gen, mostly right at the regulator. Perhaps the wiring started it?

So I set about replacing the burned wires. I replaced one wire at a time to avoid confusion, but there was one spot in the wiring harness coming to the regulator where everything was melted together (along with the plastic tubing surrounding the wires). There I had to tease the wires apart one wire at a time. I cut each wire a few inches back from the burned spot, then spliced in a new wire with crimp connectors, and replaced the connector to the regulator as well. For the wires coming from the regulator to the generator, I replaced the entire wire rather than splice. I put in a new regulator as well. FWIW there were two small wires that I couldn't find where they went. One was greyish (which I'm reasonably sure wasn't hooked up to anything - at least we've always had a small grey wire in the engine compartment that wasn't connected to anything), and the other was black. Very small wires (16 gauge?), so they couldn't carry a lot of current.

Once everything was hooked back up, I tried to start her, but nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Not only no start, but no Gen or Oil lights or any other indication that there was juice to the system. The battery is charged, and I had power at the regulator (the big red wire at the top left of the reg that come from the Battery via the starter), but no response. Yes, I checked the fuses.

This isn't my first time to drop a VW engine, so each wire was carefully labeled, and once replaced it looks to match the wiring diagram. (http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/thing.gif). I'm guessing that there's a ground wire that goes back to the ignition switch that I've overlooked, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Any suggestions?
--
Robin
Robin Newberry
Clemson, South Carolina
[email protected]

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or no grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft.

However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

In your situation, the best thing to do is chase one wire at a time. Welcome to STF Things!!