Fuel tank vaccum problem

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
TexasThing

Fuel tank vaccum problem

Post by TexasThing »

Hello everyone

New to the forum and have a question. My 73 Thing has developed a problem with a vaccum forming in the tank and shutting off fuel flow to the carb. This happened a couple years ago and replaceing the gas cap solved the problem untill now. The car sets in the garage more than it's on the road and I was wondering if there is another vent for the tank or do I just need to buy another cap. Any info would be appreaciated.

Thanks
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Hey welcome to STF Things. We are a low key bunch that work toward helping out with tech problems just like yours. There is a vent system as a part of your gas tank. It has lots of small hoses that lead to canisters that allow for breathing. Check for a plugged hose. YOu might want to check out the RoMTOC Thing Data CD at www.romtoc.com/datacd.html
TexasThing

Post by TexasThing »

Thanks for the welcome Kubelmann and the info. I've got the Thing Data CD on order and will start checking the hoses coming from the tank. Thanks again.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

MAke sure that the small metal tube coming off the tank to the small vent hose is also clear.