thing windows

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
maineshops

thing windows

Post by maineshops »

is there any information on redoing thing windows?
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

There are some folks who have "invented" ways to restore side curtains

These include:

1. Lexan sheets that can be glued in place of the original clear vinyl.
2. Side curtain panels that velcro together
3. Take side curtain frames with supple side vinyl to any upholstery shop and have them sew in new clear vinyl.
4. Buy useable side curtains from folks who sell Thing parts (Like RoMTOC

There are other solutions to this issue and hopefully some of our Thing Brethren will chime in. K-mann
maineshops

Post by maineshops »

ma just got the material for the windows. she sews for a hobby so she will get that going. decided not to do the wings though. at least this go around
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Please post pictures of your handy-work when your windows are done. Side curtains are an on-going challenge for Thing restoration. Especially for those on a shoe-string budget.
maineshops

Post by maineshops »

ya will do Kman. i'll have to learn how to post a pic.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

If you email me the pics at [email protected] I will post the pic for you.

You simply post the address where the image is hosted as in the example below:

Gbaker

Re: thing windows

Post by Gbaker »

Well I'm new to this site and recently got a 1973 VW Thing. Found in a barn in Kansas. Had not been driven for 14+ years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 minutes. Needs some body work, in the works doing it now. Found a very good condition top but need side curtains. Saw that someone's wife was going to try to sew them. Did not see any completion threads. So I need some help. If someone that has some could so kindly provide the measurements of them to me, I plan to get them made. Please try to be detailed in the measurements, so I can get them made and they will work after they are finished. Also if you can provide some detailed pictures of both sides, and both front and back side curtains. I would greatly appreciate it. If I can get these made for a good price I maybe able to get others some also. Thanks for your assistance.
Kmann

Re: thing windows

Post by Kmann »

Many folks have made home brew side curtains for the Thing. Each has its own drawback... If yu can find a decent marine upholstery contact who will work on a hourly rate. Nice hand stitched covers can be made. We have made about 10 or twelve sets now asn they come out nice. Lexan, velcro and other stuff looks home made. I have a full set of tan side curtains avaialble now. The color can be easily changed using vinyl dye in the rattle can for EAstwood and oht Auto body supply places. The dye is very easy ot apply asn permanent. I have a se on my off road Thing that were dyed over 20 yrs ago and are still the same color.... I also have a good supply of bare side curtain frames to use as cores to build your own.. IF you have questions you can always contact me at: [email protected]