African 181

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
georgio

African 181

Post by georgio »

I bought a 181 in Lagos, Nigeria in 1973. It had originally been assembled in Mexico, then shipped back to Germany for 'secret' alterations, and was then entered into and won the Trans-Saharan Race as the entry sponsored by Volkswagen Nigeria. When I bought it, it was being used as the demo for potential buyers of 181's from Volkswagen Nigeria. I stayed in Nigeria for roughly 20 years, and must have driven the car several hundred thousand miles through jungle, typhoon, across rivers, etc. When I finally left Nigeria to return to the US, I left the car behind with friends, who were careful to take care of it (garaged indoors, etc.). I would drive it for the several weeks I returned for visits during the summers. Otherwise it was not driven. When the storage situation in Nigeria became difficult, I miraculously managed to get it exported and shipped to me here in the US. The car still runs, but obviously is in serious need of a very capable mechanic in the Atlanta area, where I am presently located (tho it will eventually end up in Florida). The car has been maintained by Nigerian roadside mechanics since 1973, and I need someone reliable and inexpensive to do a total assessment and repair. Any suggestions for such expertise in the Atlanta area? I would appreciate multiple suggestions, so I can pick and choose. Thanks! Georgio
Hobug

Re: African 181

Post by Hobug »

What side of Atlanta are you on? There is All Around Restos in Gainesville, GA. 404 406 8772.
There is Athens German Aircooled in Athens, GA 706 206 6327. In west GA there is Herrell's.

We have a website for all the Georgia VW clubs to keep track of what is going on in the VW world. It would be a good place for you to post your question, as there are many more shops that the few I listed.
http://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

http://www.athensvwclub.com
georgio

Post by georgio »

Dear Hobug,

Since I am new to the area and the restoration process generally, I did not know the best way to proceed. Thanks SO much for your advice, which I will follow. It's taken a bit of time for me to check for your response (today, first time) because I was out of the country. But I will follow your advice, and I do thank you for helping me out! Best regards. Georgio
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

we demand pictures!
renato

Post by renato »

O.k., but I'd prefer to wait until they're 'after' instead of 'before'. Giorgio
renato

Post by renato »

Have to bite the bullet and admit that I am very, very slow in bringing my last post up-to-date. But getting the car imported from Africa proved to be more difficult than I'd expected. After several unhappy experiences with mechanics, I finally settled on Advanced Imports and that prince of VW mechanics, Bobby Brantley (sp?), who also races a VW Beetle here in Atlanta. He did a truly first-class job on parts of the body that were no longer part of the body, as well as the engine, brakes, etc. I'm now driving it around Atlanta with no problem. Next step is to restore the body so it looks as good as it used to. I'm about to try and post several pics in the picture gallery of my 181 eight years ago when it was looking good but still in Africa (Nigeria).
Chris4747

Post by Chris4747 »

like to see some pics please
instant gratification by hard work and determination granted by GODS hands
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

You could just post the pix here.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
renato

Post by renato »

One pic is now available on the Picture Gallery under the heading "African 181".
fezzic181

Post by fezzic181 »

Before pics are great. They make the after pics look that much better :)