VW Thing axle removal ?

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Boilerboy

VW Thing axle removal ?

Post by Boilerboy »

I'm new to this Forum. Restored several VW beetles. Now have '73 Thing with double-CV axles. Can anyone describe the tool I need to remove the 'recessed head' bolts (6) in the CV joints? Looks like a Star fitting...? I'm trying to disconnect the axles so I can tow this car to my home for restoral....

Thanks
Email: [email protected]
sideshow

Re: VW Thing axle removal ?

Post by sideshow »

You need a "triple square" M8 for the CV bolts, unless you can put the thing in neutral. Most Air cooled shops will offer something like this;
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C-C10-7011
Professional tool trucks are also a good source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_squ ... ple_square
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Boilerboy

Post by Boilerboy »

Thank you very much. (Do you think that it is necessary to disconnect the drive/tranny if I am towing this car several hundred miles??)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Boilerboy wrote:Thank you very much. (Do you think that it is necessary to disconnect the drive/tranny if I am towing this car several hundred miles??)
There's no need, just flat tow it with the tranny in neutral.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Assuming the tranny isn't broken, they tow the same as a swing axle car.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Boilerboy

Post by Boilerboy »

Tranny is fine. Car actually runs, but I would not drive it very far. It should tow OK...I have one of those fixed triangular-shaped tow bars that fit over the front axle. Very stable.

My last project was a '62 Austin-Healey 3000; I couldn't have done it without the benefit of experienced folks who were willing to share their time with me. I appreciate your help....and will probably be on the forum in the coming months. The "Thing" is a bit different than the old Beetles.

Regards.
Ron
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

With the correct VW tow bar, you can tow a air coolled VW over the road as far as you pay attention and remember not to back up...