74 The Thing Tech Questions - just purchased March 29

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Jack Clifton

74 The Thing Tech Questions - just purchased March 29

Post by Jack Clifton »

I appreciate the assistance:

1. I was driving and at a stop sign the clutch - did not have any tension any longer - would not let me get in gear. After a period of time - I was able to get the Thing in first gear and drive home slowly. I have been told it may be a clutch cable? Thoughts?

2. The gas tank admits a gas order - can tell when sitting in a garage - no leaks. Are there any items that can be looked at replaced to revmove the ordor? Thoughts.

Regards

Jack
Marc

Re: 74 The Thing Tech Questions - just purchased March 29

Post by Marc »

A broken cable is statistically most likely, but there could also be a problem inside the bellhousing or the hook on the pedal cluster could've broken. You'll need to get under and see what happens when a helper steps on the pedal. Cables often break inside the Bowden tube between chassis and trans so you may not see anything broken until you start disassembly.
What do you mean by "no leaks"? Just 'cause there's no puddle doesn't guarantee that something's not oozing fuel that's evaporating before it hits the ground. Likely places include the braided rubber hose from tank to tunnel and the tank itself at the low point next to the outlet. There's another rubber hose in back (near the clutch cable) that can also sweat.
Jack Clifton

Post by Jack Clifton »

Thank You
Jack Clifton

Post by Jack Clifton »

Found problem - clutch cable needed to be replaced.
Jack Clifton

Post by Jack Clifton »

Found problem - clutch cable needed to be replaced.