Barter for a Thing...

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Metal Twister

Barter for a Thing...

Post by Metal Twister »

I have an opportunity to do some bartering for a 73 Thing. I think everything is fairly straight forward on them but was wondering if there was anything in particular I should be aware of prior to doing the deal? Things like where does the frame crack and that kind of stuff. I will be building it for off road use mostly while keeping it streetable so I'm really not too concerned about suspension or the basic systems ie brakes, heaters, and things like that as it will most likely get up graded and changed out eventually anyway. The short range goal is to make it road worthy and see what I have to play with. A final build plan will be determined by how long the economy sputters and just how far I want to go with it. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Im a car builder by trade but we specialize in the older hot rod stuff so this is a bit of a diversion for me. I should know by the end of the November if Im going to do it or not... Yea's Nea's Thanks in advance
Getrdone

Re: Barter for a Thing...

Post by Getrdone »

Well, I used absolutely nothing but the hood, sides of the body and windshield. The windshield is the hardest thing to find in usable condition. The reproduction lower frame is out of stock, but should be available at some point. I bartered for mine also. It was a long road,but worth it. You can sell off a lot of the stock parts to recoup some cash. Good luck.
This is all I used
Image[/URL]
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

I had to get the lower windshield frame on mine fabricated, but at that point I was working for a sheet metal prototyper, so we had the right tools on hand to make it.

As Getrdone said, you can probably make good money selling off the parts you don't use.

Things to look for - the convertible top and associated framework are often in bad shape, and are expensive. Windshield frame, you know about. Check the rocker panels for bondo and stuff, as they are structural and prone to rust. The electrical system is the problem you should expect from any 40 year old convertible car, but it's a simple enough system that you should have no trouble finding and fixing anything that goes wrong with it. Engine and trans are very similar to every other vw power train from that era.
Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

Well I started this thread a long time ago but finally got everything ironed out and drug it to the shop. I was wanting it mostly for the dirt ... Kind of a dual sport purpose. I hope to use it 60% off road and 40% on but I dont want to go with the independent long travel LS1 motor route. I much rather run the 1776 with the slightly modified suspension. Here are a few pics of what I have to start with. I actually got it about a year ago but it went straight into storage so i wouldn't be tempted or distracted by it. I have about another 3 weeks or so on my half of the barter job then it should be mine to do with as I wish. I just started a build thread here... http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=148674