181 Fuel Gauge Trouble Shooting

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Thomas,I have been following the procedure outlined on thing tech. Your advice seems to be very good however I have hit a point of confusion and am wondering if perhaps I`m missing something.
After replacing the gauge itself the needle began to function again. Watched it for a week or so hoping to be sure. Never let the tank get below half full. Seemed to be fairly consistant with some minor variations such as going to a lower reading when headlights were switched on and sometimes would delay then spring out after turning on key. But over all I was beginning to feel comfortable with it so my plan was to let the tank run empty(dry) then add two gallons of fuel and set the needle at the top of reserve mark. Well about the time I reached empty the needle went down out of sight and stayed there.
I did the test of pulling the wire from sender and grounding. It went directly to full tank. Installed another body ground as directed and tested it by running it to the wire pulled from sender and again straight to full with the needle so I know this new ground is good. Hooked it to a mounting screw with washer removed and still no needle comes up.
I have now done this same test with three senders and no variation in results. Needle stays down out of sight with all three. I have to wonder if I could be working with three faulty units especially since I know one to be working at the time the car was parted out.My next step is to do the VOM test. Any advice if I get a good test result?
Thanks and good luck. Bob Ingman
Mattt

Post by Mattt »

are you sure your "vibrator" is still good? It might be on its way out, working sometimes, and not others. It can be replaced with a little transformer now these days. Its like $20 for a new one.