thing wiring

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Wedge

thing wiring

Post by Wedge »

Need to convert FROM Generator to Alt and need some advice. If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it.
THANKS!
Advokat

thing wiring

Post by Advokat »

I am in the process of doing it right now. You need a new alternator-they generally come in kits that contain the internally regulated alternator, a new stand, strap, tin and a belt.

The wiring has to be changed a bit because you will dispense with the voltage regulator. I do not remember the exact wiring right now, but if you need it I can find the address to a site where there is a conversion "how-to."

Finally, there is a difference in the fuel pump needed if you are running the stock carb. This pump has a sort of "bend" in it and solves clearance issues. Remember, if you get the alternator pump, you MUST get the alternator fuel pump pin-this pin is different than the pin with your stock pump.

I shopped a bit before buying and found that there is really no need to purchase a rebuilt when the new Bosch's are comparably priced.

Good luck
thinger

thing wiring

Post by thinger »

There's also a difference in the carb linkage. The carburetor on the cars equipped with an alternator from the factory were a little different. I had to shave one of the bolt heads down to about half it's normal width to keep it from rubbing against the alternator. I also had to file down the housing on the alternator a bit.

Be careful here! I did just enough so that things cleared without touching. Months later, I was getting on the freeway and my accelerator stuck! Luckily, I was able to just turn off the motor and coast to the side. I guess things expanded due to the heat because the little bolt head I had shaved down had gotten stuck on the alternator. I pulled it loose and was on my way but if I had been in city traffic, it could have been dangerous.

The bottom line here is make sure you have plenty of clearance with the carburetor linkage.
thinger

thing wiring

Post by thinger »

I forgot to mention, the wiring is really simple. The alternator only needs two wires. A big red one going to the battery, and the warning wire going to the generator light on the speedometer. That's it! Anything left over from your generator/external regulator setup is not needed.
Bob Ingman

thing wiring

Post by Bob Ingman »

I think its better when converting to use a block. All wires go either to or from the block. This allows the stock wires to remain on the car while still connecting to the new ones Thus keeping the car as original.
Good luck. BobIngman
Mattt

thing wiring

Post by Mattt »

And that other wire that goes to the warning light is BLUE, just to clarify