Thing Gallery (show Your Thing)

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

memphisthing

A Work In Progress...

Post by memphisthing »

Pics of the mighty '73!!!

http://www.thehighpointpub.com/thing/thing.htm

Enjoy,
Curt
Mattt

Post by Mattt »

suntour

Post by suntour »

Mattt,

Looks great. I have a few questions for you. It looks like your using the Pre-Runner fenders on the front and those rear fenders that bolt to the outside sheet metal instead of the stock wheel wells. How do you like them and what did you do about the headlight buckets? I have heard the So.Cal ones have problems in that area. This is the first time I have seen them on a 73?. What did you do to the suspension to get your ride height, and what size tires are you running in the front? Just out of curiosity, are you planning to use those shiny coil over shocks in the lower left hand corner on this Thing or something else? If so what are you planning to do to remove the torsion bars and re-attach the trailing arms?

I look forward to seeing that on the road here in L.A.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Mattt good to have you post here again. You have all the right stuff on the Thing and no doubt the paint will bring it all together. Do you have a color scheme worked out yet?
You might ask around here on STF Paint and Body Work Forum for a painter in your area. Cheers. Bob
Mattt

Post by Mattt »

Thanks for the compliment, even in its unfinished state. Its been out and about for a few years now. Ive been to GMW with it a few times. I occasionaly drive to work with it.

Ive got SoCal front fenders, and super fly deluxe rear fenders that are custom jobs. They bolt up in the stock location, but they are wider & taller. You gain roughly 2-3" in fender opening length and about 1-2" in height. I think they are a tad wider than stock also. I only know of one or two other sets out there. They're available, $300/set. Worth it to me because I didnt care for the side bolt on style. Ive thought about getting a few sets and trying to get them out there to market, but I haven't done it yet. The guy claims he also has front fenders, fiberglass hood and decklid.

For headlight buckets Im using the cheapie plastic buckets widely available as "Baja headlight shells." I wouldnt say the SoCal fenders have problems(you cut out the headlight hole), Id say its the headlight buckets. They suck, in that they dont stay put(in adjustment). I plan to replace them with some of the metal ones that were available years ago. You have to scour the junkyards for those. Ive seen them around.

cut/turned/adjusters in the front end. hook/rod limiters on the beam, HD tie rods, Bilstein shocks currently-going to Foxes, then maybe to a coilover front end LP style.

Rear is +1" longer Susp. Unl. rear arms, 10" & 12" 2.0 Foxes, bus trans with 930s.

a 3" body lift is topping all this off also. Cage is built with seat mounts, rear shock mounts, rear frame horn tie-ins. Cage is attached to front beam and rear torsion housing, not bolted to pan. Im currently running 30" tires in the back and 700X15 in the front. I may switch to 31"s in rear and maybe a 235 in front.

Im considering using those coilovers on the next step in this car. If so, I might lose the pan all together and just have a chassis built. I bought them for another project but they might end up on the Thing. If I dont drop the pan, then Id probably have dual pivot rear trailing arms fitted to the car so I dont use the torsion setup any longer.

The complete cage may be for sale in the near future. im thinking of going a different route. Not sure yet. If you're in Anaheim, drop me a line.
suntour wrote:Mattt,

Looks great. I have a few questions for you. It looks like your using the Pre-Runner fenders on the front and those rear fenders that bolt to the outside sheet metal instead of the stock wheel wells. How do you like them and what did you do about the headlight buckets? I have heard the So.Cal ones have problems in that area. This is the first time I have seen them on a 73?. What did you do to the suspension to get your ride height, and what size tires are you running in the front? Just out of curiosity, are you planning to use those shiny coil over shocks in the lower left hand corner on this Thing or something else? If so what are you planning to do to remove the torsion bars and re-attach the trailing arms?

I look forward to seeing that on the road here in L.A.
Mattt

Post by Mattt »

Bob Ingman wrote:Mattt good to have you post here again. You have all the right stuff on the Thing and no doubt the paint will bring it all together. Do you have a color scheme worked out yet?
You might ask around here on STF Paint and Body Work Forum for a painter in your area. Cheers. Bob
Its gonna be red. Thats why I have the red piping on the seats. Havent found a painter yet.
Jersey Thing

Post by Jersey Thing »

Greetings All-
Here is my ride, she is still real rough around the edges and still needs luv but she is mine and my project. Hopefully this will work.

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/ ... _=17294182

Any Jersey Peeps here?

Jersey
Jersey Thing

Post by Jersey Thing »

ok my link did not work...will have to try another place BRB
Jersey Thing

Post by Jersey Thing »

Ok Boys and Girls ... Finally here we go.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... c_id=98497

I want to get her to a point where enjoy her for a season... or 2 then do a total tear down and rebuild.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Jersey that looks like a solid beginning. Just keep your focus and one of these days this will become your BEFORE photo. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Bob
Jersey Thing

Post by Jersey Thing »

here are the photos of what she looked like when i purchased my Hunny.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... c_id=98524

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... c_id=98526

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... c_id=98527

as you can see i have done some serious clean up. I have since painted the bumpers black and have to install.
suntour

Post by suntour »

Mattt, sorry I am not in Anaheim, I live on the other end of the 57, around the San Dimas area. I look forward to see your Thing at the next GMW show.
germansupplyscott

Post by germansupplyscott »

here bob, this is for you:

before

after

Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Thanks Scott. Thats an amazing transformation. Do you drive it much?
The before top is almost an exact identical to mine right now. Bob P.S. the star filter is a nice touch.