so...the pans are in...

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
mstatedog

so...the pans are in...

Post by mstatedog »

....and I'm fixing the outer rocker panels now. I can coat the inner rocker with POR-15, but what can I do about the inside of the outer rocker panel. I won't be able to coat the backside of the welded seams....should I just use some weldable primer and leave it???

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mstatedog
nthang

Post by nthang »

If you are MIG welding, using series 308 stainless steel mig wire will help with the rust some. It adds only pennies, so its the way to go over steel wire.

Your dilemma with the inner rocker rust problem presents a challenge. You can drill a series of 1/16" holes access holes in the rocker panel directly across from the weld and "blind coat" the inside with rattle can primer.....a good zinc-rich or galvanic primer. This will "fog" the cavity and coat the metal. Access to an eletrostatic paint gun system would be ideal, if you know someone with that set-up, like a powder coat shop. Hope you find a great solution to this one and spread the word.

FYI, my car did not and does not have any cancer rust at the rocker area. It does have surfaces rust residue that has been deposited on the top of the rocker panel below the driver door. This is from water entering the door cavity and attacking the uncoated metal inside the door pocket, caused by leaving the car outside in the weather.