Roll Bar Berry Mini Iv

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
Kelroy

Roll Bar Berry Mini Iv

Post by Kelroy »

Has anyone put in a roll bar in one of these buggys :?: Wife thinks we need one Please help me . Or will I be on my own on building one of these

Thanks
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I'll post...

Mini Ts look nutty with a bar.. there's not enough real estate to do anything useful.

If you're into safety I'd be worried more about the unbalanced weight vs braking...

Most MiniTs spin out when you hit the brakes.
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

How do you help prevent them from spining out as you stated in previously ? I have not had any problems yet but I also have not had to do a full pedal,tire squalling stop either.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Balance your brakes... then shift the braking toward the rear...

Disks in front of this car will grab too quick on the opposite end of the weight.

T.
Iowa Mark

Post by Iowa Mark »

Tim is talking about the basic Mini-T, and it looks like you have the un-cut chassised T. I too have a shorty and yes, they are a bit squirrely. You have the advantage of another 14" between the axles, makes a boat-load of difference. That said, the car is still lighter than a bug, has the engine and gas tank rear of the back axle, so the weight is shifted from that of a bug. I've been toying with the idea of flipping my brake wheel cylinders front to back and back to front. More of the stopping power on the rear and less on the front. Cheap way of proportioning the braking system. As to the roll bar, get some electrical conduit and a bender from a rental place and fab up a quick set-up. When you think it will both look good and keep your lovely wife from kissing the ground instead of you, build the real one. I roll mine without a bar, but then I grew up in the 50's when we rode around without seat belts, air bags, bike helmets, knee pads, and chewed up window sills painted with lead. The brain damage happened years ago.
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

Thanks for the input. Was planning Rear Disc and a proportioning valve. And yes mine is a mini T 4 I believe.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Interesting info, I have one I am building with a V-6 in the back. Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
KennyG

What gas tank?

Post by KennyG »

I have a Berry Mini T4 that has never been on a chassis. I have a 65 chassis to put it on but I don't know what to do for the gas tank. All the pics I have seen show the filler in the back with the filler neck coming out the left side. What tank do you use to do that? My body doesn't have any holes in it yet. I can't think of a good way to mount it in the front like the original. I am stumped.

What do you guys have for gas tanks?
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

the spec was to put it above the engine on a mini T

You have to fab a mount.

With yoiur 65 chassis.. the biggest issue is the beam "horns" hitting your body and bonking it to death (spider webs)

T.
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

I fabbed up a mount welded to the frame horns and mounted a rectangle fuel tank from the marine industry over the top of the tranny. Old Shool style strap and I also used a bicycle tube as padding on the straps.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

pix?
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

Will get pic as soon as I can figure out how. I don not have clearance issues on from the frame to body.
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

I was thinking of maybe a roll bar like what is in a Rabbit convertible(headache bar) 2 Bars 1 straight one angled toward rear and space in between filled with steel sheet 18 gauge maybe no front hoop??? Mine is of the long chassis design
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

I was thinking of maybe a roll bar like what is in a Rabbit convertible(headache bar) 2 Bars 1 straight one angled toward rear and space in between filled with steel sheet 18 gauge maybe no front hoop??? Mine is of the long chassis design
Kelroy

Post by Kelroy »

Image[/img]

Passenger side mount is cut out for Starter removal. Top of mount is just plain steel to make a pedestal