My Avenger GT12

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
681tonburb

My Avenger GT12

Post by 681tonburb »

Here are a few pics of my Avenger before I started the rebuild and a pic of the new frame. Sorry there not good pics took them before i had a dig camra so there scaned pics.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

That is sweet. Looking foward to seeing it go through the build.
www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Hi guys to answer a few questions the frame is a David Barrett. For engine I was going to do a turbo 1915 or 2110 but now Im looking in to type IVs so Im not sure yet how that will turn out.
For the suspension I was going to go Air but now Im leaning more to coil overs. The front I will be using a ball joint front I was going to go A-arm but its just to much $$ for me that I could use in other places on the car that needed it more.
The rear I haven’t made up my mind on if I will be using porsh trailing arms or something custom like this. Image
Ill probably start a thread on suspension to help figure this one out.
ampretty001

Post by ampretty001 »

Nice shots...
681tonburb

Re: My Avenger GT12

Post by 681tonburb »

Forgot I had this build thread I'm back at it again had a career change and had to move so I wasn't able to work on my car for a long time but I'm back at it again. Working on getting the Porsche brakes rebuilt and the suspension done. I've been looking in to making my own beam and possibly a rack and pinoin.
What do you guys think of derlin bushings and for beam adjusters there looks to be to types is one preferred over the other?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There are two types of beam adjusters: AVIS and Sway-a-way. The AVIS style is easier to install but the Sway-a-way is stronger. The Sway-a-way style is sold by other companies besides Sway-a-way from what I understand.

The instructions that come with each adjuster are also on line. They start with a warning to have someone to install them who has done this before. That warning is a warning in itself. The instructions cover both King and Link and Ball-joint and can get confusing. Read the instructions word for word a couple of times then mark out the portions that only cover K&L (in your case) then read the instructions again. When it comes to installing the spring stack, that is what I would call the tricky part so read it well.

Dropped spindles are an option to look into before you start whacking away at the beam. Depending on how the rear sets in relation to the front you might need to shim the beam or you might want to shim the beam to increase caster also. This is just to be aware of options.

When it comes to the springs if the front end is too stiff with the moving of weight around there are some options. You can (maybe) remove some of the small springs, nick them so they break or there are 15 percent stronger stacks that you might put in the lower tube then put a through rod in the upper tube. I haven't tried it yet but I am looking at it.

Lee
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

I'll probably end up using drop spindals to I just figured if I add the adjusters now they would be there if needed when I start playing with the ride hight. I thought about maybe doing through rods and coil overs in the front to and that may still be an option .
didranway

Post by didranway »

What engine are you going to use? I put a type 4 in mine made it upright.
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

I have a type one in it now but I'm looking at a type 4 from a 914 the needs to be rebuilt .but I need to do some more type 4 research first before I make my mind up on that.
didranway

Post by didranway »

Any more progress?
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Havnt had time to work on it latley. had some progress with the new chassis was waiting on getting the front brakes for vdubenginnerring but looks like that isn't going to happen now so I'm going to have to sell all the 944 turbo stuff to a bus owner to help pay for a wilwood kit. Other then that I'm hoping to get back on it next month
vwfye

Post by vwfye »

What does the custom chassis weigh?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There's been a running thread on Wilwood brakes in the suspension forum, might want check it out.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
681tonburb

Post by 681tonburb »

Not sure how much it weighs but when I get back this week ill find out for you it's bare right now no suspenton bolted on it and I would say it's well under 100 lbs .
Ya I been looking at the wilwood set up now may even run the brembos in back and wilwood up front. That is if I can get over the non matching parts I'm just so picky on having the brakes look the same on all four corners .
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Take the names off and they all look similar enough it won't matter...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297