New here...

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
The13bats

New here...

Post by The13bats »

Greetings,
When I was searching for a ghia front end a friend turned me on to this site,
I belong to many car related forums but I am pleased to have found this one,

While they have very few members and few posts I do have a couple Yahoo! groups I made for the kit car fans,

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/GrassRootsKitCars/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fastervair/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sterlingkitcars

I have owned several Kit cars over the last 30 years used a few as daily drivers and worked on many others,
Now I have a Laser 917 and just bought two Kellison GT40K bodies for a mid engine project,

I hope to meet some other grass roots kit cars fans here.
I am located in Orlando Fl

Cheers,
P.
david58

Post by david58 »

Cool looking car Welcome to the STF. What engine and tranny you using?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Welocme aboard! Eye catching ride. :shock:

doc
The13bats

Post by The13bats »

Thanks for the kind words,
I call it my red stinkbug, my so called little shop is Area 51 Skunkwerks,
The Laser doesn't lend well to anything except rear engine unless you are willing to really hack on the body a lot even then you really mess up the body and cockpit
Right now mine has a VW single port engine and I really dont know for sure the size but the person I got the car from had paperwork saying its a 1600, the engine is destend for my VW trike,
The tranny is 1969 Ghia as is the rear suspension but oddly the front suspension is beetle,
In between front and rear is full custom frame with a 5 inch drop on the entire floor,
I bought a ragged out Corvair to get the automatic powerglide and corvair engine to install in this Laser, since the car is a cruiser not a racer the auto tranny will make it far more fun to drive,
I will just adapt the VW axles to the vair tranny, keeping the VW rear suspension.

While the laser is the overlooked bargain in VW based kit cars my Kellison GT40k is far more rare than a real gt but cheep!
I bought two bodies very cheap, one was on a 1964 pan with engine tranny and even a title, What is a fair price on that pan when I place it for sale?

Here is the Kellison GT40K

This isnt my car, mine are just basket case body shells,

as you see even though it too uses a Corvair windshield it is far closer to the real deal and in my eyes is a bit better looking than the more common Avenger,
I scored a running driver Mid engineering chassis with 327 hooked to a corvair tranny,
I need the ghia front suspension for it, my plan is to place the Kellison body on this frame