Fiberfab Gt 40 Vw kit Car body questions?

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
JackJ

Fiberfab Gt 40 Vw kit Car body questions?

Post by JackJ »

I am thinking of purchasing a 1 piece Gt 40 Fiberfab (vw based) kit car body that has the rear trap door(access) for the engine.It is just the body.Which VW bug pan years fits it(full length or do I have to shorten it)?Secondly what guages do you use(vw speedometer ect)?What about steering column(what do I use).I am assuming you have to use a VW brake master?Also which tranny/transaxle setup is bestI have restored many cars(just finishing a 1969 international Scout 800 "frame off" restoration) so not afraid of engines,trannys,paintwork,welding,body,work ect.Never did a kit car but have worked on alot of Vw's just looking for a glimmer of what to expect to buy to put under it.Thanks and what a super site.
letterman7

Post by letterman7 »

Getting into a kit car isn't too hard, Jack. Do your net research before diving into a project, though. I think there are a couple Yahoo groups for Fiberfab cars if you check there for specific forums. In general, all VW based kit cars use the Beetle parts and components, like the steering column, brakes, master cylinder, etc etc. Essentially, you'll pull the body off the donor VW, keeping the frame/pan and all the plumbing intact and drop the kit body on top of the pan. The GT Fiberfabs were all on full length pans, so that makes your build all the easier!
JackJ

Post by JackJ »

Thanks! i know it is a Avenger GT-12 shell.Just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.Just not familiar with bug differences or what the vw based kit used.