Where to jack up a '69 VW with a Maxi-Taxi body kit

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
compuada

Where to jack up a '69 VW with a Maxi-Taxi body kit

Post by compuada »

I have a 1969 VW bug with a Maxi taxi body kit that I have been trying to restore. I need to access the transmission, so I have to jack the car up to get to it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to put the jack, because I really don't want to crack the fiberglass frame.
Piledriver

Re: Where to jack up a '69 VW with a Maxi-Taxi body kit

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF!

Under the rear torsion us usually a good choice, either near the center or at the ends under the plates, same for jack stand locations.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Where to jack up a '69 VW with a Maxi-Taxi body kit

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I strongly agree with Piledriver on using the torsion housing for jacking or placing the pan on jack stands; unless who ever built your rare car reinforced the side rails/body mount tunnel, the outside perimeter of the pan is very flexible and jacking (for example) can do damage to your ‘glass body. Even if the side rails were reinforced I would think twice about using them for jacking purposes as you do not have the steel bug body’s top to spread loads around the pan. I would check the side tunnel to see if it has been reinforced as having the tube in place does/can change the ride of your toy.

Lee