31 Alfa Romeo Kit - the real story ?

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
ALYKAT III

31 Alfa Romeo Kit - the real story ?

Post by ALYKAT III »

I picked up this car a while back and been fiddle faddleing with it a bit. Seems to be shy a number of small bits...fenders, spare tire mount and such. I thought there were probably a lot of them out there because it is such a nice kit, but I recently saw a line in an article (can't find it now that I went back to try and print it out) that said only about five of these kits were completed. Although that doesn't sound likely to me, I'd like to know if anyone knows the truth of the matter ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: 31 Alfa Romeo Kit - the real story ?

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Thanks Lee. It looks as though I was right to expect there were many kits available. At the same time it seems there may not be a huge number still running around. I have found (when I posted this one for sale on the Samba) there are 2 others for sale as well. One just pieces and parts and one nicely done. I had a hopeful moment that if there were not all that many out there this would be an easy sell, but my more practical self believed that if they were truely rare , I would not have found this one. :lol:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you were going to keep it you have a pretty good start. The stock cycle fenders missing is not the best for originality but it can be overcome somewhat. We used to use '36 Ford spare tire covers for fenders by cutting them down to the chord needed. They do have ridge down the spine which gave a bit of class to the fenders; I think the Ford spare tire covers are getting pretty rare now days but I also think there are other places you can find "cycle fenders" for sale (look at motorcycle fenders themselves at swap meets, motorcycle junkyards or even at local "garbage sales. I did a search on line and believe it or not even Sears sells them $$$ [big bucks]). It is probably going to sell easier with some fenders on so it looks more correct or complete.

If you decide to keep it you could do what some of the Buggetti guys do and convert to Model A rims to get a more correct look. It does look like a fun project to play with.

Lee
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Yup, I already have a set of 21" wires lined up. Full set of 5 so I'll have the spare as well. For fenders, I live kind of away from the main stream. You can't actually get here unless you go someplace else first. I keep an eye on the internet and on my monthly trips to the big city ( Grand Junction, Colo.) I do as much checking around as time allows . Always hit any yard or garage sales I run across just in case , 'cause you never know. I intend to be a bit particular about the fenders as no fenders is a better look than the wrong ones.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Another way for rims is the Shay Model A from the late '70 and early '80's. A lot of guys rod them and the rims are often up for grabs. I think they are 17" and have a 4 bolt Pinto/Mustang II bolt pattern.

Lee
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Whoa...Thanks Lee ! That is a great idea ! Back to the internet. NOt an easy thing though as I am a complete computer idiot and a hunt and peck two finger typer. Most of the time I'm also hitting two or more keys at the same time so I do more delete than type.