I'll never learn

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
ALYKAT III

I'll never learn

Post by ALYKAT III »

It must be some kind of mental virus. I just can't seem to turn down what look like good deals on kit car projects, be they just shells or pretty much done. I have long been familiar with this rig as it first belonged to a friend of mine and then his nephew. They came down last week and hauled away some of my pile of project stuff and left this behind. It will be for sale at some point, as it is far too low to drive on the country road where I live, but in the meantime will be parked at a place close to town on a paved road and driven when I feel like a little cruise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
letterman7

Re: I'll never learn

Post by letterman7 »

Didn't I see that for sale on Samba for a while? They were asking a pretty penny for it if it is the same car. Just an observation. I've always like the Vandetta.. not so crazy about the '40 hood treatment.
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

At the risk of hurting your feelin's....that is fugly.lol.
Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder though.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I prefer the '40 nose over the '37 nose as far as the Vandetta goes; as far as Ford goes, I like the '37 shape best between the two.
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Yeah , Scott had it up several years ago but sold it to his nephew. Robbie drove it for a while, but needed a more family friendly car and listed it a year or two ago and it has pretty much just been parked in his garage since then. I have been familiar with this car for quite a while as Scott has a VW shop up in Craig, Co and I got a BGW kit van from him years ago. He had this car then. Recently while we were talking $$$$ about some project cars I had for sale that he and Robbie were interested in, the word trade came up, and this is the result. Can't hurt my feelings Newf. It would be a dull world if everyone liked the exact same things. I like both styles Lee, but wish there was a hood for VW a bit more along the lines of the 47-54 Chevy pickup style. If I hang on to this rig for a while I may have to whip up a mold and see how it looks real world. We have a fibergalss chopper setup parked in the back shop we haven't even used yet, so might give us a reason to set it up. Sort of along this line of thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

A very interesting mod to the VW hood. A little help from an english wheel, some hammer welding, a little reshaping and it has the look of a Jimmy more than a shove-it-or-leave-iit-lay pick-em up. :lol: :wink:

I had almost forgot about the OLDS powered '37 Ford flatback tudor I had. I still think the '37 delux and '38 standard are very clean looking. The '39 standard is also classy too but not quite as clean looking.

There is a C-cab for sale in CA I would love to have but no place to put it... per my lord and master.. or what ever name she is using :lol: .

Someone brought up the Class C motorhome conversion for a bug for which the plans are still available. If you want I can post a URL for it. The last I heard the plan (now updated via CAD) run about $55.

Lee
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

A friend in Denver has one of the motor home rigs. The van is about as much fat as I would want to add to a bug. :lol:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

HTTP:www./rqriley.com/minimotorhome.HTML

This should get one to the plans and how to order them.

Lee

If I were to do it, and I still think about it, I would add some addtional structure especially on the outside rail of the pan where the body bolts on to. Now days there is better materials to make the top and sides from plus springs/torion bars (no cheap air or helper spring shocks) plus sway bars. I have heard talk about side winds which is mostlikely true as they can be a bear on full size motorhomes.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I was never too fond of the Vandetta. It's OK, but ehhh... :roll: If ya know what I mean.

A few decades ago, I had a neighbor who had a VW Bug panel delivery which was on the cover of Hot VWs and VW Trends and an image of it was used for years in Trends as a filler at the end of articles. It was made using a Bug body to the b-pillars, and a split window bus body from there back, but narrowed and sectioned to fit to the Bug body. The drip rails were even blended so it looked as if VW had made the car that way. The rear fenders stood out from the Bus 1/4 panels like a Detroit sedan delivery of the late 30s.

I agree with Lee that the '37 front end was the prettiest of all the fat-fendered Fords, or any other brand of the era.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting