New parts, parts car and using wiring post from Tim S oh my

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
curshe

New parts, parts car and using wiring post from Tim S oh my

Post by curshe »

Well V dub engine engine been way mistreated who ever did that engine not only pinched a main he backed it off and pinched a second one! poor thing.
So ran across a 91 subaru on cl for 600 got it for 450, has 142K on it. Has front end damage did mangle rad but just barely got to engine, runs and drives.
Figured would go that route ordered adapter.

Now need to start cleaning and cutting the subaru get the engine out and mounted so can started laying out the wiring harness, and clean up the poor old ss100 stuff.

The good thing is that it is there just needs to be cleaned up re fitted was never put together right to start with had lots of air flow all the seams were never sealed just assembled. Nothing between the body and floor pan so just need to do it right.
The bad no, idea who built this kit, can't find any information on it. Used to that though if there is something that there was only one of I am known to get it. :D
If you have any information on it lay it on me would be most appreciated.

W.C.Acree
curshe

Re: New parts, parts car and using wiring post from Tim S o

Post by curshe »

Well Started tearing the subaru down and typical for me is different , if there is one off I will get

Got the engine out and started on the wiring went pretty good till I hit the dash, took a while but got it out then started getting the wires run down Tim's run down gets to two plugs I don't have two have one and a gold colored box
and just in case got this running

So guess will pull the whole thing out then lay it out unwrap and find where the wires go

Will pull it all out tomorrow get it on the plywood to get it figured out.
W.C.Acree
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I am not sure where you are at with this but I think Tim's 2 plugs are the ones that plug into the motor by the battery and they are gray. I helps to remove the left front finder to get those wires out and back to the dash connector.

Ed
curshe

Post by curshe »

no1clyde wrote:I am not sure where you are at with this but I think Tim's 2 plugs are the ones that plug into the motor by the battery and they are gray. I helps to remove the left front finder to get those wires out and back to the dash connector.

Ed
Got those and the fender off, the box inside is a transmission control so not of great importance, I hope. :)
curshe

Post by curshe »

Getting more pieces out and get the harness ready to start doing the other way.
Got it down to this not the stripped version yet but about ready, get the sheet of plywood down and get serious on the wire, did get the adapter on the engine.
W.C.Acree
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Throw all the wire jungle for Subaru away and make new harness and couple it to Megasquirt.... Make life simple....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
curshe

Post by curshe »

Dale M. wrote:Throw all the wire jungle for Subaru away and make new harness and couple it to Megasquirt.... Make life simple....

Dale
Yeah my son is a megasquirt fan, and not opposed but I have all the pieces here just have to play some. So will probably keep hitting my head against the wall :mrgreen:
Curt
curshe

Post by curshe »

Got a start on the harness got it started looking like maybe it will be a harness
got a lot of the wires in place couple small differences but moving along did find a poor wire , knock sensor was cut only thing holding was part of the shield

Get a few more loose wires in the loom got the D plug to do yet then tidy the legs up get power to it and see if it will live.

Curt
curshe

Post by curshe »

Ha! still got a few loose ends to tie up exhaust (no o2 sensor) none of the neutral stuff so the brain is screaming sensor problem but it lives!!

Got to check a couple small issues out my switch on line has power full time so got to go back and find out where it fed it wrong, or got a wire in there wrong.
Waiting on radiator getting a honda civic changed around to fit in shell up front will run lines up front and have a tank to fill, with 1800cc rad extra long lines to get there should have enough cooling.
Need to get exhaust built and o2 sensor in but have a fire in it after playing with wires racking what brain cells I have left is a good feeling.
Happy dance :D
Curt
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Seems to be coming along pretty quickly. Good job.
curshe

Post by curshe »

Instead of going with a replacement pump decided to see if Subaru pump would fit fuel cell was a perfect fit jig sawed hole in top did away with fuel gauge stuff fuel cell has it and top is over 1/8inch thick and couple went through channel frame inside so is held well with 6mm pan head bolts. Will get new gasket but the old one has held and does not leak.
Big hole in perfectly good fuel cell.

and the Subaru pump blended with fuel cell
Curt
37 Jag replica
91 Subaru power/w stk ecu
curshe

Post by curshe »

Well have the harness pretty much done need to get the exhaust done so can get an o2 sensor in the system. She runs smooth has to crank over 4 or five times to start, and runs a bit rich right now, not running very long still waiting on rad :(
Started fitting the body back and adding braces I think it needs and bracing the braces it did have (only two) and they were just bolted at out board points. They are now bolted in the middle at two points to the tunnel itself too.
The two braces that held up the rear of the body was just cantilevered off a bar on the trans axle horns the one bolt through the sheet metal in the floor pan, I added a square tube and more bracing caused a bit of a pinch but think it will be worth it in extra strength. Can work the pinch out with body spacer up front.
got some glass work to do and trying to figure out how it all fits together is fun, it was in partial disassembly and wasn't really assembled top notch to start with. I hope to have it in better shape.
Get some more bracing for inside pieces like dash and such interior dash was held in with just three points one center and the sides and then hung the steering column on it, from a u bolt yet some brave folks. Will have a steel bow when I am done.
Curt
37 Jag replica
curshe

Post by curshe »

kind of feel like going backwards body wasn't sitting all the way down so kept looking, wound up pulling fenders and found the mounting areas riding on pan edge.

little rim work with cut off disc and the sides settled down nicely
did get some tabs welded on for fuel tank mounts so got some forward movement
Curt
37 Jag replica
curshe

Re: New parts, parts car and using wiring post from Tim S oh my

Post by curshe »

Been busy with lost of stuff but have got disc brake conversion on front and new brake kit on rear. got the exhaust and water system done, getting a few hose's connected still need to get the pressure tank plumbed in.
radiator is up front got 1 1/2 inch exhaust pipe ran up front to connect things, ran under the floor pan.
Got a new air filter and cut the flex part of the intake tube out to shorten it so the filter would fit.
Have the wiring run just needs to be tidied up and tied down loomed, still needs to have the brakes bled and clutch but5 is in the down hill stretch.
Curt
37 Jag replica
curshe

Re: New parts, parts car and using wiring post from Tim S oh my

Post by curshe »

Well been doing body work and getting it bolted together.
start of suicide doors
Doors make it much easier to get in.
headlight bar mount needs to dressed up yet but is mostly there.
reinforcement for underside of headlight bar
the pressure tank box that holds the pressure tank for cooling system.
waterlines from pressure tank
stock subaru oil filler to far back in to use so put cap on top and hose to it should work.
Curt
37 Jag replica