MAXI TAXI

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
BUBBA2041

Post by BUBBA2041 »

SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE HIT ON THE BEST SOLUTION GLEN. IF YOU GET THE BODY UP OFF THE SHOCKS W/ A LIFT KIT IT SHOULD SAVE THE PLASTIC. UNLESS... IS THE FENDER DAMAGE CAUSED BY DIRECT CONTACT W/ THE SHOCKS OR JUST BY THE FENDERS FLEXING UNDER THEIR OWN WEIGHT? OH WELL, HOPE FOR THE BEST. GOOD LUCK W/IT GLENN. DON'T FORGET TO KEEP US POSTED. I REALLY WANT TO SEE HOW THAT ONE COMES OUT. WHAT ENG ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT?
gwgwgw

maxi taxi

Post by gwgwgw »

I plan on initially using the stock 1600 dual port to sort things out. Still agonizing over which pan to use. I have a 66 swing axle and a 70 irs that is registered as a 76 special construction. Here in California, a 76 is under smog testing. So engine has to be stock. May convert swing axle to irs on the 66.

What does the inside of your roof look like? Mine has a spray on black flock/felt. It is coming off in places and I am planning on removing it and starting fresh....but it doesn't look like it is going to come off easy.
BUBBA2041

Post by BUBBA2041 »

THE HEADLINER IN MY CAR IS ONE OF THOSE THICK FAKE FUR MATERIALS IN A DARK BROWN.I TEASE MY GRANDDAUGHTERS TELLING THEM I SKINNED A TEDDY BEAR FOR IT. MY GUESS IS IT WAS SPRAYED W/ ADHESIVE THEN LAYED IN PLACE WHILE THE TOP WAS OFF AND UPSIDE DOWN. ONE THING; THE HEADLINER EXTENDS OUT TO THE FRONT EDGE OF THAT TINY BIT OF VISOR OUTSIDE THE WINDSHEILD. THE 1600 OUGHTA DO WELL. MY ENG IS JUST A 1200 W/ DUAL EXHAUST AND A CHEESEY LITTLE AFTERMARKET AIR CLEANER. EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE MOTOR IS STOCK. IT'S QUICK UP TO 50MPH BUT WHEN I HIT HI-GEAR IT TAKES A BIT TO GET UP PAST 70.
F.Y.I. YOU KNOW THE TOP JUST BOLTS ON DON'T YA? JUST CHECKIN. :)
gwgwgw

maxi taxi

Post by gwgwgw »

I took the top off to wash it.
It looks like I am going to try to get the fur off.
If the weather cooperates, I will try this weekend.

More later
Glenn
gwgwgw

maxi taxi update

Post by gwgwgw »

Have not posted in a while. Pulled the maxi taxi body and am now stripping everything off and having the body repaired. Working on the pan and going to have a roll cage fabbed soon.

Glenn
BUBBA2041

Post by BUBBA2041 »

Hi Glenn. I've been watching for anything new. If you get a chance and feel like it, put up some pictures. I'ld love to see it as it goes along. Maybe get some idea about what all is involved. Take care.
gwgwgw

maxi taxi

Post by gwgwgw »

here is a first look at the pan after I took the body off. The passenger side pan is a mess. I may put the body on a different pan
Image[/img][/url]
gwgwgw

maxi taxi body update

Post by gwgwgw »

gwgwgw

maxi body work

Post by gwgwgw »

jlamaster

Just got one and want to know more about it.

Post by jlamaster »

I just purchased a Maxi Taxi. I would like to find out how many were produced and how to identify them i.e. seriel # etc. Mine looks all original as far as I can tell. I would like to find some door hinges. They look as if they may be the same as some marine hinges used on boats. Does any one know?
jlamaster

Pics of my Maxi Taxi

Post by jlamaster »

Here is the car as I picked it up last weekend.
(How do you post a pic ?)
BUBBA2041

CONGRATS

Post by BUBBA2041 »

WELCOME TO A SMALL BUT OBSCURE FEW JLAMASTER. I STARTED THIS THREAD TO SEE HOW MANY MAXI'S I COULD FIND OUT THERE. SO FAR ONLY 4 THAT I GOT PICTURES OF. I THINK MY E-MAIL SHOWS UP HERE. IF SO, SEND ME SOMETHING AND I'LL SHARE WHAT I'VE FOUND OUT ABOUT THE MAXI'S WITH YOU. BTW- WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY ARE YOU IN? THE MAXI'S WERE BUILT HERE IN INDIANA. I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THE HINGES BEING FROM A MARINE APPLICATION. I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH POSTING PICS HERE, I'M NOT THAT COMPUTER SAVY. ALL I KNOW IS THEY HAVE TO BE POSTED SOMEWHERE THAT YOU CAN COPY THE LINK FROM...AT LEAST THAT'S HOW I DID IT.
jlamaster

Post by jlamaster »

Bubba,
I live in Ohio. This Maxi came from someone who was in the Airforce stationed in Dayton when they built it and it had been setting for years. The guy I bought it from bought it in 2002 and took it to work and his son's homecoming parades. It appears to be all original (except the motor does not match the tag in the engine compartment). Your email does not show up. [email protected].
And yes, the hinges are marine. I have already located a source.
jlamaster

email

Post by jlamaster »

oops don't try the email link. Try this one [email protected]
gwgwgw

maxi update

Post by gwgwgw »

Hi all,
I rarely get here so send me an email if you post something
[email protected]
I have not worked on my maxi much this year. I thought I saw another one here in San Diego. It was red with a black top.
My next step is building a roll cage for it. But that is $.

Glenn