MAXI TAXI

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
BUBBA2041

MAXI TAXI

Post by BUBBA2041 »

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE OF THESE?:

I'M INTERESTED IN PICTURES, CONTACTS, INFO, OR JUST GOOD STORIES FROM ANYONE WHO HAS ONE.
THANX FOR LOOKIN'.
SEE YA'LL,
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Maxi Taxi are one of the more popular to be finished...

Barrien Buggy (Michigan) contacted me last spring for information. They have purchased the molds and are planning on putting them back into production.

There are a few of them out there.

T
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

Here's one of my favorite Maxi's
BUBBA2041

THNX GUYS!

Post by BUBBA2041 »

"T": I READ THAT IN THE LAST MONTH EITHER HERE OR ON SAMBA (MIGHT HAVE BEEN YOUR POST...CAN'T REMEMBER), SO I LOOKED UP BARRIENS BUGGIES (IN MICH.) AND CALLED THEM. THE WOMAN WHO ANSWERED SAID THOSE MOLDS WERE DESTROYED AND THEY HAD NO PLANS TO REMAKE THE MAXI TAXI. (MAYBE SHE WAS HIRED TO IMPROVE THE LOOKS OF THE PLACE) I DID FIND A MAXI ON YOUR CLUB'S WEBSITE IN A PIC FROM ONE OF THE SHOWS. REALLY SHARP.

NICK: LOVE THOSE PICS. ONLY SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED IN THE 4 EXHAUST TIPS ON EITHER SIDE :lol: . I LOVE THE HARDWARE DETAILS ARE THE SAME AS MY CAR.
THANKS GUYS...ANY ONE ELSE? ANY MAXI OWNERS?
gwgwgw

maxi taxi

Post by gwgwgw »

I just got one! Where can I get more info about them?

BUBBA2041

Post by BUBBA2041 »

LOOKS GOOD GW. WHAT PAN OR ENG IS IT? WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR OTHER MAXI'S ONLINE FOR ABOUT 2MONTH'S NOW. GOT SOME HISTORY ON THEM, BUT THE MAKER IS OUT OF BUSINESS. E-MAIL ME FOR ANYTHING ELSE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO SHARE,
THNX FOR THE PICTURE,
gwgwgw

maxitaxi

Post by gwgwgw »

Hi Bubba,

My email is [email protected]. I am in San Diego, California. The car is a 1976 model but is based on a 1970 pan. In California, post 1974 cars are subject to smog tests so I am thinking about moving the body onto a earlier year pan that is still registered as a VW. I am planning on making it a dual purpose machine, for both highway and sand use. I am hoping to document what we are doing. Please keep in touch. I am new to this board.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Before driving your car off-road... you REALLY need to address the shock tower issue with this design.

I've been on the lookout for the past 5 years (we've owned our mini) for a working method to do the shocks.

So far I've only found either busted fiberglass on the front... or shocks mounted radically that don't accomplish anything.

This tub (lingo for buggy body) will need a lot of accommodation for sand abuse -- would be nice to have a 4 seater.

Overall our mini gathers more attention than any other in the fleet.

T
BUBBA2041

HEY "T"

Post by BUBBA2041 »

HELLO AGAIN,
OUT OF CURIOSITY, IS THIS YOUR CAR?:
IF NOT DO YOU KNOW THE OWNER? SAW IT ON YOUR CLUB SITE AND I WAS CURIOUS. THANX
BUBBA2041

OOPS!

Post by BUBBA2041 »

SORRY T.
I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WOULDN'T WORK. IT'S LISTED AS "FRESH PAINT MAXI TAXI" IN THE PICTURES FROM THE 2003 CHIPPEWA VALLEY, WI. SHOW ON YOUR CLUBS WEBSITE. I WONDERED IF IT MIGHT BE YOURS OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW. NICE PAINT WHOEVER IT BELONGS TO.
THANX AGAIN,
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Info on the "Fresh Paint Maxi"....

It was owned by a guy who owned a body shop... he received it from a non-paying customer... got it done... I saw it on Ebay sale last year.

A bit more about your car....

I was flipping through some '83 magazines... I think the vendor for your car was "Precision" something from Pennsylvania. Berry Mini Ts and Maxi Taxis are different (Berris had a curved front windshield lower frame ... others have a straight line)

Good news is that Barrien owns the molds now if you need parts. I have a pair of the bumpers if you need some.

Do some searching for Berry Mini T and Maxi Taxi. There was a very cool build up site about a yellow 4 seater in Florida... I lost the link.

T
gwgwgw

maxi taxi

Post by gwgwgw »

Does anyone know where I could get replacement or equivalent door latches? My drivers side is pretty shot

Thanks
Glenn
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Check with Barrien Buggy in Michigan. They communicated with me about the cars... they bought the rights and are now working toward putting them into production again.

T
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Bubba2041, do you always yell (all caps)?
I hear there's some guys in Texas looking at reviving the Maxi too.
gwgwgw

maxi taxi

Post by gwgwgw »

I hesitate to tell you all what I am planning to do with mine, but at this point it will probably see some sand dunes.

I looked at the front shocks and you are right. With a flexing pan they are going to punch through the front fenders. My other dune buggy has a similar problem.

At this point am planning on putting a heavy duty lift kit on it. I did it with my other buggy and have been pleased with the results. This will get clearance for the shock towers and allow me to run bigger tires in the rear.

Since I posted the pic we have stripped alot of the trim off, with the goal of having the entire body stripped and off the pan so it can go to my body guy.

Great getting in touch,
Glenn