Meyers Manx SR

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
seahag

Meyers Manx SR

Post by seahag »

Hi , I own a classic Manx and was just wondering how many of these original SR's are still out and about?
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

Check out this site. I think Dale has production figures there someplace.

http://www.manxsr.com/

No telling how many are actually still on the road.

Jerry
werka

Meyers Manx SR

Post by werka »

I own one of the original Manx SRs also. It was originally may fathers but it is now mine.

http://www.manxsr.com/images/Sr/Bob-W-2.jpg

I have since had the rims powder coated black, removed the side windows, and am currently rebuilding the 2110cc turbo engine. This car has been in the family all my life. I believe that my dad ordered the kit from Bruce Meyers, and assembled it himself.

I am hoping to have this back on the road in the spring of 2005.

Oh, there was an article in Hot VWs (I think) about 2 years ago, and they mentioned the Manx SR. I think that there are 29 of the original SRs left - that are at least known about.
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

Very Nice! I remember seeing your SR on the internet when I was just starting to research SR's.

I don't think I've seen an SR with the door handle mounted in that position before. I mounted solenoids to open the doors remotely, the original handles were on the top of the rear quarter, hooked to a chain, which pulled the door mechanism open, Mickey Mouse.

Good luck with the rebuild, mines got a 2270 type 4, a little more power than I need!
werka

Meyers Manx SR

Post by werka »

The solenoid thing is something I may want to consider.

Your Micky Mouse description is accurate for my door latching "mechanism" as well. I will give my father some credit as he did figure out how to get things functional.

As for the engine size, the 2110 turbo is likewise frightening. It is pretty fun, but since the car is so light it really goes. Also my speedo is an original vw that only goes to 80 mph. It has been pegged a good bit and the car begins to feel "light" on the front end during some of my lead foot romps.

Have you replaced the rear window? Mine has plexiglass that is now 30+years old and looks it. I am thinking that this piece was sandwiched between the outer shell (the black top) and an underlayer, which this shell is epoxyed to. Just a guess, but it needs to be replaced.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I had a piece of safety glass cut for the rear window but lost it on installation, now it's 1/4" plex. Maybe I'll get real glass back in someday. There should be an aluminum extruded "frame" for the rear window between the two layers of targa top. It's only 3 sided but it holds the glass in place pretty well. Getting in there will be tough, pop rivets at the back but glue at the front.
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

That was me.
werka

door lines

Post by werka »

I was wondering if the doors on your manx fit well. On mine, the top portion of the doors sit higher than the back portion of the body. You can tell from the link I posted previously. Just wondering if this is common.

Thanks.
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

Yeah, my doors fit pretty well, but mine has the exterior front hinge (SR2), not much can go wrong with the alignment there. The rear can be adjusted, slightly, by adjusting the lenght of the pin that locks into the door mechanism. It's just a beetle front hood latch I think.
didget69

Another SR

Post by didget69 »

I've got the SR that is in the photos at www.manxsr.com site - Look at "Unfinished" pics, top 4 pics of car on Centerlines; it's the same car that's 3rd down the list, stated as being Graham Leggett's car...

It's an original BF Meyers car, has factory data plate at front above tunnel, but it's hard to make out the stamped number - still trying to decipher the faint stamping that has been scratched up - Going back together with T4 engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, 944S rear aluminum trailing arms, beefed trans, 15x6 & 15x7 Cookie cutter wheels, etc... 8) - Think 'poor man's Porsche', rather than dune buggy -

Bryan in NC
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

I took those pictures of Graham's car when it was sitting in his back yard at the outer banks about 6-7 years ago. I wanted to but it then but no deal. It was kind of sad looking with only the body shell. Glad to see your progress with it.
Jerry
didget69

Post by didget69 »

Hi Jerry -

Good to meet you! Interesting that you're a Graphic Designer... my background is in Product/Industrial Design!

I think the SR intrigues design-types... 8)

I looked for the car for awhile after I saw the pics on the Web, but no luck in chasing it down. Back in November of last year, I saw it for sale in Wilmington - my son & I went to look at it & ended up towing it home.

Bryan
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

Hey Bryan,
Funny, I bought mine from an Industrial Designer in Columbus, Ohio!
My son and I also picked it up but we loaded it into the back of my F150.
Pan, front end, tranny and all the body parts. My wife also killed me when we got home! She had no vision of the finished car.
It took about a year to find one and it took 5 years to restore it. Mine's the yellow one on Dale's site, toward the bottom. Unfinished at the time.
Keep posting you progress. It will be great to see it complete.
Jerry
didget69

Post by didget69 »

I see you're going with T4 power as well?

Bryan
manxsr

Post by manxsr »

Yes, a 2270.
It's a little frightening.