engine rebuild in Orlando

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
weldvair

engine rebuild in Orlando

Post by weldvair »

I recently I bought a 1971 Karmann Ghia convt that is a basket case.....I replaced the heater channels
with 2"x3" tube & ordered $400 in repair panels.

The engine was locked up/after pouring 1 gal of BP blaster the motor turned over. I drained the oil to dicovered about a qt of water & metal chunks.

The motor runs but, I am guessing it needs rebuild. I am looking for help in the Central Florida(Orlando, Fl) area or a shop to rebuild it.

Any suggestions?........Don
retired mech engr living in central florida
Stray Catalyst

Re: engine rebuild in Orlando

Post by Stray Catalyst »

Metal chunks in the oil? Don't run it at ALL - it's already toast, but you may be able to salvage some parts out of it.

Unless you have unlimited money, you're best off doing your own rebuilds. The VW engine is forgiving, buy one of the manuals (How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, a Manual of Step by Step instructions for Compleat Idiots by John Muir, or the Bentley manual for 1970-79 type 1's) and you'll end up with an engine that you can trust.

There are plenty of shops that will rebuild engines for you - but if you decide to go this way, look them up on forums, or on the BBB website. There are a lot of hacks, scams, and the like - do your research or regret the results.

Welcome to VW addiction.

Stray