Crack in a AS41 case

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Leatherneck

Re: Crack in a AS41 case

Post by Leatherneck »

He said the heat he would apply would mess the internals up, so yes If this doesn't work then I'll clean it all out and let him start fresh. I'll post up the finished pics later. Thanks Piledriver.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The only way I have seen a boss like that saved (not VW) was to weld the hole shut then re-drill and re-thread it. Again, the case is being pushed apart not compressed or in tension which may make a big difference in how the finish product works. Good luck on it Leather keeping good thoughts for you on this.

Lee
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Pre heating the area with a small torch is all that is needed. It is mainly to draw out contaminates. Often two or three cycles of heating then cleaning with acetone is required. That area is easy to access for welding and you did all the prep work already.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

This weekend I will fire it up and see what happens.
Here is when I started to fill,
IMG_1237.JPG
Next night
IMG_1239.JPG
Last coat, each one was roughed up before adding the next layer.
IMG_1243.JPG
I'm done. Will see if it holds this weekend.
IMG_1244.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Looks promising, provided you don't crank the fitting in any further and wedge it apart. Did you do as I suggested and apply epoxy to the threads as you installed it?

A tiny weeping leak would be something I could live with in this case.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I never thought of JBing it with the fitting in place. Now that is a horse of a different color as long as nothing turns in. Very creative Leather.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Marc wrote:Looks promising, provided you don't crank the fitting in any further and wedge it apart.
I backed it out, counted the threads so I wouldn't separate the crack anymore.
Marc wrote: Did you do as I suggested and apply epoxy to the threads as you installed it?

A tiny weeping leak would be something I could live with in this case.
I filled the threads with JB weld and screwed it in, I could see the JB weld going into the case. I also drilled the end of the crack at an angle so if it did crack more it would run out towards the inside not outside, least that was my thought process. I didn't drill all the way through so figured that might help.

However it turns out I do appreciate your help and advice, I know tearing it back apart and having it mig'd is the best way but I wanted to try this first.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Leatherneck wrote:..I know tearing it back apart and having it mig'd is the best way but I wanted to try this first.
Yep, we all know that...but like you I'm always looking for pragmatic solutions, and it looks like you've done everything scrupulously and can reasonably expect success. Fingers & toes crossed!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you use Permatex pipe thread sealant (anerobic) you won't have to put it in OMG tight to get a seal.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Guys, so far so good. :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't taken it out of the garage but oil pressure was up to 40psi and even revved it some, no oil. I would post a pic but it looks the same way as the last one when finished adding JB Weld to it. Thank you Marc, Piledriver and Lee for your help, advice and guidance..
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Piledriver wrote:If you use Permatex pipe thread sealant (anerobic) you won't have to put it in OMG tight to get a seal.
A big chuckle here!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good to go so far, no weeping, nada! Again thanks for the help.
JB17Atita

Post by JB17Atita »

Does it still hold up?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Yes it has held up, has been through the ringer too, high rpms, long trip and not a leak, seep or any sign of fluids. Taking it slow, doing layers and listening to good advice here made it happen. Thanks for the help guys!
JB17Atita

Post by JB17Atita »

Not to hijack the thread. Just wanna get some advice on a related problem. I'm planning on doing the same fix for the top of the case. It threw a rod, the hole is maybe two inches wide. No structural damage. Just need to seal it for the oil ciruculating. It's a temp fix, I also plan on welding the alum case that also threw a rod. (Not really having any lock on tightening rods)