Oil pickup movement

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
66NCVW

Oil pickup movement

Post by 66NCVW »

Please tell me this is normal, was putting a deep sump on my 1600 and noticed this. Here is a video, my pickup tube seems to have slight movement or play. :cry: :cry:

http://vid37.photobucket.com/albums/e62 ... 7fbydv.mp4
Marc

Re: Oil pickup movement

Post by Marc »

One of the oil sump studs is longer, it protrudes up through a tab on the oil pickup and has a flatwasher and shakeproof nut to hold it down. Almost impossible to reach that nut on an assembled engine without cutting and bending the edge of the pickup out of the way (yecch!)
You can get 1/12 of a turn on it with a box-end 10mm wrench after grinding away some of the wrench's width right next to the box so it clears the tab. I also heated & bent mine about 45° to make it easier to fish up in there (see photo below)
Double-nutting the stud on the outside so it can be run in or out through the case & nut may save some time.
Most sumps (except Gene Berg's) require that you install longer studs; usually they're included but they may not give you one that's long enough for the "hold-down" location in which case you'll need to make your own. Installing it without losing the nut & washer in the sump is a little tricky. Put a piece of electrical tape loosely across the wrench, reach it up in there and pull down to trap the nut. Have the new longer stud at the ready, already double-nutted. Double-nut the old stud and wind it out, keeping pressure on the shakeproof nut to hold it and the washer in place until you engage them with the new stud. If you do manage to lose the nut & washer you'll need to fish them out with a skinny magnet, so it's best to do this part with the engine right-side-up and perhaps tilted slightly so they can't get too far away.

I prefer to use shakeproof nuts on all six studs to hold the sump on (plastic ones work well enough, they don't have to be the metal spring-type which is preferred for the one inside). Alternatively, you can put a dollop of RTV over/around each one...but you'll need to wait some time, overnight's best, before adding oil.
66NCVW

Post by 66NCVW »

Well I pulled the plug in front of the motor and found the tube to indeed be moving. Since I'm going to boost the motor, I'm going to add a few goodies since I'm splitting the case. Here is the current status as of noon today.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If you've got that plug out you have an opportunity to swedge the pickup pipe out for a tighter fit in the case (when loose the pump can suck air there). One method is to use an expanding concrete anchor from the hardware store.
66NCVW

Post by 66NCVW »

I do have the plug out, I was trying to research the concrete anchor idea but couldn't find a solid answer on whether or not it will seal completely and be ok. Do you happen to have a link to a write up or tutorial on that?

Thanks
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

there is a Loctite product for press fit bearings that works well in sealing the pickup tube to the case also.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Marc

Post by Marc »