Cam Bolts/Washers/Locktite

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Ark1

Cam Bolts/Washers/Locktite

Post by Ark1 »

Hey Guys! Excited to finally join the group! In the midst of a rebuild on my 1641, and needed a +1 gear. Naturally I had to cut one off a factory cam. Without access to a mill, (or drill press with a 3/4 chuck) I had to spot face the cam gear with a 1/2 end mill bit. This was all fine, but meant I had to get creative with hardware.
I found some 5/16-24 socket cap screws and had them ordered in 1/2in length. Due to the size though, I am unable to fit a washer underneath (and room is obviously precious.) Will locktighting the threads be enough insurance, or should I keep searching for a different solution?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc

Re: Cam Bolts/Washers/Locktite

Post by Marc »

It's just the diameter of the counterbore that's an issue, not the heads of the capscrews coming too close to the oil pump, right? The 8mm serrated washers used under the heads of CV bolts should fit if there isn't room for an internal-toothed lockwasher like this:

VW P/N N-015-371-1
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

The Schnorr washers are very good but, as long as the threads are clean and de-greased, Loctite should do the job.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've also resorted to staking/peening the ends of the bolts if the threads in the cam were questionable.
Ark1

Post by Ark1 »

I think this will work great. The perfect size, never even thought of that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ark1

Post by Ark1 »

Plenty of room for the heads still aswell.