Improvised Oil Strainer

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
FJCamper

Improvised Oil Strainer

Post by FJCamper »

Dollar Store VW Fix

Misshapen oil pickups have become the norm on Brazilian cases, no matter if it just an aluminum reproduction of the German mag cases or a high performance case.

If you have one of these pickups, you know that the factory oil strainer will not work. The pickup tube is bent sideways and trying to make the strainer fit means bending, cutting, or collapsing it's wire dome.

The strainer is important because it acts to keep crap like shreds of RTV sealant, misc debris, etc. out of the oil pickup.

We found steel wire desk accessories at the Dollar Store, intended for pencil or paper clip holders that happened to match the dimensions we needed, and cut them as the photos show.

Problem solved.

FJC
sideshow

Re: Improvised Oil Strainer

Post by sideshow »

I avoid RTV shreds by not using it, it seems simpler...much like put away the handgun before opening the tequila
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
RHough

Post by RHough »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Randy,

We have two of our aluminum cases apart and both of them are getting German oil pickups. The improvised oil strainer case we photographed is also brand new 0-mile, but had been assembled ahead of schedule.

And Sideshow was on target. We had been guilty of RTV, prompting the fix. No more RTV for us. Just Permatex.

Good old Permatex #2 has the sticking power of Brer Rabbit's tar baby.

FJC
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can overdo anything...
... but whoever did that classic seal up RTV job for you may secretly own permatex stock. :wink:

The red anaerobic gasket maker is also very good, if pricey, and cleans up relatively easy, esp if not fully cured, falls off with a shot of brake cleaner if not fully cured.
https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... ket-maker/

Actually goes a long way and will wait for you while you are tooling around doing final fiddling before mating the case halves etc.

I still use copper kote or such on jug bases (and as head gasket), painted on with a brush, I think that was Jakes method, seems to work, and very, very hard to put on too thick.

I coated the chambers with it as a test on a motor I did no expect to last long (WBX so it needed all the help it could get), was all still there 70K later when it came apart. (just wanted to see if can really take 600F--- it probably can, and seemed to hurt nothing at least.)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Another "use everywhere" and seems better at "frequent tear downs" over anaerobic is Hylomar;
http://hylomar.com/warrick/wp-content/u ... ssue_6.pdf
I have only used it a few times and it feels purpose built for racing. Sometimes I carry it in a road kit (verses carrying several other tubes) as the sole/only goo.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.