Is it going to leak?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Piledriver

Re: Is it going to leak?

Post by Piledriver »

Just remember that Scotchbrite is just messy 3D aluminum oxide or silicon carbide sandpaper (depending on grade, the white ultra-fine stuff uses feldspar), you will have to clean the case and work area spotless again, as the abrasive/plastic residue goes freaking everywhere.

Use with water and dishwashing liquid, it doesn't do anything to the rtv (there are no RTV solvents) but it will keep the dust down.

The difficulty of cleaning RTV off magnesium alone is reason enough never to use it.

The only other method that MAY work w/o damaging the sealing surfaces is CO2 blasting. Not even sure about that.
(I have a tiny cryo clean rig at work, I/ll have to set up an experiment and try it)

For your oil plugs and fittings, use the white Permatex anerobic pipe thread sealant with Teflon, keeps you from having to tighten the fittings OMG tight for a seal, and will hold 10K PSI once cured. Cracked cases are not unheard of due to overtightening. That sealant is also great stuff, we use tons of it at work.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Big Ratfink

Post by Big Ratfink »

I went to the Permatex sight to learn more about these anaerobic sealants and left with more questions than answers. I found only 3 sealants. A flange sealant, a higher temp flange sealant, and a gasket maker. The product description and usage was almost identical. They all seal gaps up to .015" and they all were blue.

Tonight I stopped at auto zone and they had the gasket maker for 13 bucks. Decision made.

I had no idea aluminum oxide was the abrasive in scotchbright. Maybe fine stainless steel or copper pot scrubbers might work. I'll figure something out other than digging at it with screwdriver.

I had some Permatex Hi Temp thread sealant, I'm sure it will work. At work the knuckle draggers like the Lok Tite brand. It all works. I didn't think to check Lok Tite for sealants. The thread lockers are all anaerobic.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Lok-Tite or Permatex, both good quality, but I don't know of an equivalent for the gasket maker.
The tube may be blue. The filling is red.

They also have an aerosol gasket maker... not what you want.
Cost 2X as much for 1/2 the sealant. Like cheeze-wiz that cures.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.