rocker arm questions???

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
richard heuser

rocker arm questions???

Post by richard heuser »

Up to my rebuild so far has been smooth, now I'm having problems i can't figure out.. Putting everything back together i get to the rocker arms installed them with the o rings in place, wavy washers installed bevels out splits up, found t.d.c for number one adjusted # 1 to spec.006 rotated 180 to adjust # 4. My question.... Shouldn't both valves be in the closed position like # 1 because my exhaust rocker is pushing the valve open without the adjuster even installed... What's causing this? Bent valve, shortened push rod tube, not to sure been researching all afternoon haven't found an answer yet still looking...
Marc

Re: rocker arm questions???

Post by Marc »

Could be something as simple as the #4 exhaust pushrod not being fully seated in its lifter - sometimes they can catch on the rim at the side of the "cup" in the lifter. Tends to fix itself if you just keep rotating the crankshaft (with an alarming "pop" when it finally jumps into position) but if you want to be more methodical, take the LH rockerarm assembly back off and compare the height of the two #4 pushrods - if the exhaust is sticking out more, try manipulating it a bit to see if it'll drop "home" and reassemble/continue. I'm assuming all of the pushrods are the same length of course.
Another possibility is that the cam is misindexed with the crank (or the pulley markings are incorrect), enough to show up at #4 but not at #1. Leave the #4 exh p'rod out for now and proceed to the adjustment points for #3 & 2....everything normal there?
Last edited by Marc on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Delete
richard heuser

Post by richard heuser »

You were right after rotating it a few times the pushrod seated and everything is normal thanks for the tips....