CB HD Springs

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Ark1

CB HD Springs

Post by Ark1 »

Hey guys! Started assembling my heads and the Cb HD springs I installed just didn't seem to fit into the head right. Is it necessary to clearance the base somehow?
Marc

Re: CB HD Springs

Post by Marc »

They may be "Chev" diameter which can be used but only after flycutting the spring seat out. Gene Berg used to sell 1.4374" (36.5mm); CB Performance sells some that "drop in" to the stock diameter seat as well as some that they say are 1.440".

Which CB P/N are they?

What retainers are you using, and do they fit snugly into the springs?
Ark1

Post by Ark1 »

Cb 1490. Title Reads "1490 Single Hi-Rev Valve Springs - 40hp-later (set of 8)". The retainers/keepers are the basic chromoly one's offered on CIP1.

Ad says "Replaces original parts perfectly."

I'll grab some picture's of them installed for reference.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Those should be stock diameter (so "standard" O.D. retainers should fit them fine). OEM springs typically measure around 1.23" O.D., I think the "nominal" size of the stock spring pocket is 32mm (~1.25") - 1¼" O.D. spring shims fit snugly in them.
The inside diameter should come close to rubbing on the guide boss - that'll keep the springs centered, which is why some hacks have managed to fit "Chev" springs to unmachined heads and just let them chew their way in...not smart, especially without a full-flow oil filter ;)

If yours measure bigger than 1.25" O.D. it may be that CBP's supplier made a bad batch and they weren't caught before packaging - you want the retainers to fit snugly, if they can move laterally inside the spring I'd send the springs back.

It's good practice to always use a steel shim between the spring & the head, especially with stiffer-than-stock springs. Doesn't have to be very thick, say .015-.020".