Better Head Cooling

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
FJCamper

Better Head Cooling

Post by FJCamper »

Image.K"

Better Head Cooling

At one time, these little bits of tinware were standard in OEM VW heads. Today, there are VW enthusiast out there who have never heard of them, much less never seen one.

The deflectors are very important, because they route cooling air along the fins on the heads. Aftermarket heads have not had them for many years. Without them, the heads hotspot and you get more incidents of cracks, warping, etc.

Lucky for us, Awesome Powdercoat provides a cheap solution. OEM style deflectors that simply press in. You even get a slot in one (head for cylinders #1 and #2) for the thermostat rod, just like the old days.

We use them for our racing engines and highly recommend them. The price is so low to order a couple of sets that it's not even worth getting out the tin snips and making your own.

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com

FJC
greggholmes

Re: Better Head Cooling

Post by greggholmes »

nice
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Thanks, FJ. Site is worth bookmarking just for the pictures. Check it out.
ONEBADBUG

Post by ONEBADBUG »

I use a little high temp silicone to help insure they stay in place. Just a dab.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I just got a set myself, the install reminds me of the old school zip ties (with the metal tabs). A regular flat chisel to send them home...I'm not sure how they could ever fall out.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.