Engine Blueprinting Spreadsheet

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Bsherrard

Engine Blueprinting Spreadsheet

Post by Bsherrard »

Note I have also posted this to the type 4 forum:

All -
I have searched all over this forum and the web looking for a spreadsheet that lists / tracks all of the things needed to blueprint a type 4 (or any other) engine. I found reference in the ACT forum to a checklist the Jake uses but the thread has been removed. Before I put in a bunch of work creating one, thought I would ask to see if anyone has one they would like to share? Ideally I would list all of the engine components and have a checklist for the things that need to be verified / machined (ie, dimensions, clearances, weights), a place to input the final numbers for your engine, a listing of the torque values for critical engine components. a one stop document that you populate at the beginning of your build and then use during the process to make you don't miss anything and have a final build sheet when you are done.

Any help, recommendations, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
Bsherrard

Re: Engine Blueprinting Spreadsheet

Post by Bsherrard »

I will answer my own question - looked over on TheSamba and found this thread with a very excellent blueprinting worksheet in PDF format.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... ksheet.php
Will use this as a starting point and tweak in Excel.
Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
RWK

Re: Engine Blueprinting Spreadsheet

Post by RWK »

One thing that I believe is important is parallelism of case decks and head sealing surface's.A vital check in blueprinting I don't see in this sheet. A lot of case's and heads I have machined have had those surfaces tilted or out of square with case split or each other from previous machining, There is NO tolerance for out of square, a .001 per inch out of square means across a 4 " cyl. your heads may be only setting on part of the cylinder, you can fix cylinder deck height difference's with shims or cutting the cylinders but you cant fix out of square, this is difficult to check without a surface plate, cylinders should be checked this way also, compare with a dial test indicator that the cylinder surface that seats on case is the same with all other cylinders and is parallel all the way around, difficult to get this info with calipers or mic's easily. Assuming your machined case and heads are correct could be a false first step without checking, hence the purpose of blueprinting, most of the measuring tools needed to check all these things are not always available. Some other air cooled engines, bikes, aircraft, have separate heads for each cylinder,so not as much of a problem. A lot of people now are using copper head gaskets,they will compensate for this out of square they just crush down to fill the void if any, along with increasing head volume/deck.