2180 single port

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
flyguyeddy

2180 single port

Post by flyguyeddy »

i need some advice. i am looking to do a 2180 (actually, probably 2221 since 80mm x 94mm) and i am unsure of what head to use. im looking for a casting number of the appropriate single port head that can take some chamber massaging to get compression ratio down to about 7.5:1ish area. if i could find the dished bus pistons in a forged piston id go with those but ive been coming up empty handed.

anyone ran the chinese single port heads hard to see how long they last? im apprehensive about using them since this engine will be in an airplane, but a used overheated head cant be any better.
Chip Birks

Re: 2180 single port

Post by Chip Birks »

Why the desire to go single port? I know revmaster does dual port on all of their aviation stuff.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Cutting single port heads to 94 may be unwise? More metal left with 90.5s.
petew

Post by petew »

I did a lot of reading last year on single port heads with a view to building a fuel injected single port engine. To be honest I've given up on the project because getting a single port engine to run with even mixtures on each cylinder of each bank is extremely problematic with carburetors and fuel injection. You can manage with a complex, timed, sequential injection system, but otherwise one cylinder runs rich and the other runs lean. Ok if you're dawdling along on the ground. I wouldn't want to trust it up in the air.