Sun Machine

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Ol'fogasaurus

Sun Machine

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I haven't taken the time to learn the new fully electronic engine management systems like the turbo and electronic fuel injection guys are going to which are handled by a computer. I have always relied on using a Sun Machine to have the distributor spun to check and correct the advance and confirm that the mechanical portions of a distributor are OK; things like bushing, bearings and shaft straightness. Not all distributers are the same even if the model number is considered to be a good distributor.
Sun Machine.jpg
I think they are still available so if you can find a business that has one I recommend having your distributer "spun", whether it is old or even new, just to verify what you have. I seem to remember a couple of posts lately where a new distributor ended up being flawed. Worth the money spent checking things out or getting a new advance curve put in if needed.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turboblue

Re: Sun Machine

Post by turboblue »

What is the model number of your machine?
I think I'm gonna look for one.

Thanks
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I don't have one ($$$) but have had distributer's condition checked for then recurved using one. Some times you can get surprised (good and back) using one. Luckily I was saved the cost of setup when the condition of what I had made it useless (not rebuildable).

Lee
risk

Post by risk »

These guys specialize in rebuilding these machines:

http://www.paramountd.com/sale.html

My dad had one just like Ol'fog's in his speed shop back in the 80's.. but ended up selling it when he shut down in 1991. As fate would have it, I found it at a local flea market last year and got it back for $50. Have yet to play with it since my car is crank fired, but.. I picked up a blue 010 at a swap meet the other day and I'm gonna try her out.
dist tester3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Like I said, I never had one but I am so jealous that you do. I don't have room in my garage for one but I am sure there are things I could get rid of to make room for it :wink: :lol: .

Have fun as they can tell you a lot especially about the condition of a dist. That info... combined with what computers and vehicle dynos can do hopefully would put a person to the head of the pack. HP limits has never been so easy to find ("easy" isn't the proper word though) driving some to even greater limits. Some fun, some $$$ :roll: and good results are out there waiting for the brave to apply.

Lee