CB 1.4 R/R oil squirters

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
V8Nate

CB 1.4 R/R oil squirters

Post by V8Nate »

So I am in the process of building my 2058 type 1 and I'm doing some of the hvx mods to the engine. One problem I see with the CB 1.4 ratio rockers is no oil path dedicated to the lash cap or valve stem with the exception of splash oiling. I've been toying with a few ideas to solve this, one would be an oil spray bar, notching the side of the rocker arm where the shims go(idea being oil will follow the path of least resistance and aim the notch to the rocker tip area) or drill a small hole under the rocker tip( on the rocker shaft area) aimed at the valve tip. I want this thing to last so I'd like to get some oil up to the valve tip area without compromising any structural integrity. Any ideas

Thanks
NateImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Clatter

Re: CB 1.4 R/R oil squirters

Post by Clatter »

I did what you are suggesting, with a notch ground into the thrust face, aiming for the lash cap.
So far so good, but, mine are Autocraft rollers.
Your plain shaft setup might want the pressure..

If I was to do it again, I would drill a tiny hole to aim the spray at the lash cap.

The pushrods on a type 1 aren't square to the rocker shaft,
So it seems the thrust needs the oil it can get.

Best to do all of your Hoover mods at the bottom end to get enough oil as well IMHO.

Really good idea..
Let us know how it works out!
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Another member suggested drilling a small hole in the pushrod, which should work like a sprinkler. It wouldn't be direct but it would definitely be better than nothing. poop I might just do both:) a couple tiny holes should still be an acceptable amount of oil loss nothing compared to worn out main bearings. The bottom end hvx mods have been done still have to do the rocker shafts and I would think as long as the tiny hole in the rocker is properly chamfered it shouldn't lead to breakage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Crawdad

Post by Crawdad »

How did this turn out? I'm in the same boat – did all the Hoover mods, wondering how to get some oil to the lash cap – rocker contact area.
Another issue: the oil hole in the side of the adjusting screw on those CB 1.4 rockers is really tiny, much smaller than the hole riding through the push-rod that feeds it. I'm thinking of enlarging it. Any thoughts?
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

I ended up drilling small holes in the pushrod's so they act like a sprinkler system when its running. I didn't mess with the hole in the adjuster or rocker arm on mine. I wasn't too scientific with the hole placement i just marked the pushrod where the valve was at full lift and closed and drilled the hole in the middle of that area.Image
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Keep an eye on them now and then looking to see how the tube in that area is looking. Normally the hole should have been drilled before the ends were pressed on to check for and do some de-burring if necessary. You probably will be OK but just-in-case.

Lee