Wrist pin slop???

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
bottomend

Wrist pin slop???

Post by bottomend »

How much slop allowed on newly rebushed rods? I just got mine done and I can feel a little movement. One of the bushings looked a little lacking on the quality control meter.

One rod is very tight, two seem "ok" ( but still has a bit of movement) and one is definatly loose. The oiling hole in the tight rod and the hole in the bushing didnt line up exactly and there was also a deep burr inside the bushing. When I pointed these things out, the guy at the shop said dont worry about it. When I got home and tried to put my wrist pin in it wouldn't go all the way through! Yep! It got hung up on the burr!!!!!

Would you install these?
mschilling

Post by mschilling »

The burr I wouldn't worry about, just trim it off with a knife or deburring tool (shows you their headspace though). The fit is definately a problem, and it should have absolutely no play at all. Just push on, nice and smooth, with no movement. That's why you need someone talented, I appreciate the quality of Berg's rebuilt rods, one less thing to worry about.
bottomend

Post by bottomend »

I'm gonna take them to someone who'll be able to tell me if they are ok but my gut is telling me that I'm about to have a few words with the guy who "rebuilt" these. Why cant people just do as advertised???!!!

Thanks for your response.
vicsvw

Wrist pin Slop.

Post by vicsvw »

Wrist pin Slop. You have problems when the oil hole does not line up, it means the bushing has rotated in the rod and although it probably happened when the rod was reamed it should not be that loose.
If you put the wrist pin in a new re-bushed rod and turn the rod so the wrist pin is facing up and down, the bushing should be tight enough to keep the pin from sliding out. If you tap the rod the pin should be loose enough to move slightly. If the bushing has a bur then you have no idea of the fit. Vic. "Parts Book" Schematics and VW part numbers. -> http://www.vwhelp.com
Viva.sabata

Re: Wrist pin slop???

Post by Viva.sabata »

Greetings - I searched the forum and this seems like the best place to ask this q. I noticed that on my connecting rods the oil hole in the wrist pin bushing is substantially smaller than the corresponding hole in the rod in all cases. Is there any advantage in carefully "porting" the bushing hole so that the diameters line up? Seems like it might since oiling at this location is done via splash and would result in more exposed pin area to receive oil. However it might upset capillary action to draw oil to the pin? Thought appreciated.
66brm

Re: Wrist pin slop???

Post by 66brm »

Do it