Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
jackstraw

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by jackstraw »

Looks good. Keep it coming.
flat4olsen

Post by flat4olsen »

Agreed,- the Hammerite looks nice!
grelland

Post by grelland »

Thanks guys.

The last attempt resulted in some dust in the surface (my son opened the garage door before the paint had cured...) so we sanded it down once more, and laid down one more layer of hammerite. Looking forward to getting back to engine building again; not just sanding and painting.... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grelland

Post by grelland »

Hopefully last trial assembly:
trial assy.jpg
I am also planning an air intake system that hopefully will reduce intake noise, so I had my son design a pair of air boxes. The 3d-printer is running:
airbox.jpg
Looking forward to the spring :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

I totally desire some kind of Air box system. I like the one CSP sells (For a type 4 in a 1303), but not the cost. Looking forward to what you come up with.

H2OSB
grelland

Post by grelland »

Nothing too fancy planned, but the intetion is to make a pair of airboxes and a cylindrical filer that connects them.

Here's the first airbox prototype after ca 6 hrs on the printer:
on printer.jpg
printet.jpg
Last edited by grelland on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flat4olsen

Post by flat4olsen »

I hate to say it, but those intakes are way to small. It will restrict the air flow and rob power big time. My first boxes looked like this, and they alone (without being connected to anything) removed 10 hp! 116 hp with the boxes and 126 hp without.
grelland

Post by grelland »

Difficult to say from the pictures, but what were the dimensions on yours? I will find a drawing with measurements on my prototypes as soon as the designer (my son) is back from work ;)
flat4olsen

Post by flat4olsen »

My inlets were 63 mm. The drawing is a little different than the final result. I had to angle the snouts a bit, but the size remained,- still 63 mm. And that was to small!
grelland

Post by grelland »

flat4olsen wrote:My inlets were 63 mm. The drawing is a little different than the final result. I had to angle the snouts a bit, but the size remained,- still 63 mm. And that was to small!
Thanks. I need a new 3d printer ;)

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

grelland

Post by grelland »

Thank you. I checked the measurements on "my" box and it is actually slightly larger than yours. As mentionned; I am stretching the limits of our 3D-printer, so I will let it be for now.

I had a "look" internally in the air box:
vel stacks.JPG
And with my current velocity stack design, I feel I get a lot of "dead" volume around and below the mouth of the velocity stacks, so my son made the following change:
short vel stacks.JPG
I think that looks much better, and the effective volume goes up inside the box.

Then we went on with the filter itself, and this is a rendering of the concept:
filter concept.jpg
The idea is to 3D-print the end caps, use turbo silcone hoses to connect to the air boxes, use carbon rods to connect the end caps, and finally use aluminum mesn and filter material around the outside.
grelland

Post by grelland »

Trial mounting the first version of the airbox
airbox mounted.jpg
grelland

Post by grelland »

flat4olsen wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 am My inlets were 63 mm. The drawing is a little different than the final result. I had to angle the snouts a bit, but the size remained,- still 63 mm. And that was to small!
Are you sure the intake diameter was the main reason for the restriction? What about velocity stacks and general air bok volume?

I will not be too concerned if I loose 10 hp, as I can always remove the boxes for track use :twisted: , but of course it is interesting to know where the constrictions are.
flat4olsen

Post by flat4olsen »

No, I can´t tell, if it was the total volume or the inlet size, that caused the power drop. All I know is, that it was related to the air boxes. It may be that your design, which is i little different than mine, will perform better. If you are going on a dyno, try to do a pulls with and without the boxes. I am curious to see, if the larger volume in your boxes will do the difference.
grelland

Post by grelland »

Well, time will show.

I am planning a dyno session this spring, so I will see the difference.

meanwhile, I have printed a few more parts for the intake system, and here you get an idea of my plan:
korte trakter.jpg
filter mockup.jpg
My son also made me a vacuum-thingy for the vacuum signal to the ecu. Nothing fancy, just a couple of AN-6 fittings and a barb fitting for the hose going to the MAP sensor. It provides a small voulme in order to somewhat filter the vacuum signal. NIce to have access to a lathe and mill for these kind of small projects.
vacuum.jpg
I will make a couple of brackets in order to mount it to the backside of the fan shroud.