Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
Post Reply
User avatar
grelland
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 am

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 am

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 pm
thanks for this, I see they have IDA pattern as well :-)
Yes, makes intake manifold choices easy :)

User avatar
grelland
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 am

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 am

Time for some updates :)

I got the engine finally assembled and have taken a few test drives the last couple of days. No fires so far :)

I have struggled a bit with the tuning, as the engine characteristics have changed quite a lot, so my fuel MAP was way off. I was running in so-called ITB-mode which combines TPS and MAP signals as load in the VE table, and this was no longer very representative for the current engine.

I saw that I have a lot more noise on the MAP signal than before also, so decided to use so-called alpha-N mode which only uses TPS signal as load, and within a few minutes with the auto-tune, it ran decently.

Some fiddeling with the idle, as I had WAY too much fuel at idle, so once I started leaning it out, the rpms went up to about 2500. The cable based throttle system is super-easy to adjust :)

So now it runs "ok"; it needs a few more miles with auto-tune and then some smoothing of the maps, but so far I am very pleased.

pressure and temps also seems ok :)

I still have some problems to get it started though. Worse when hot, so I think I will replace the starter motor first, and see if that helps. It is probably 40-50 years old... I already replaced the battery.

I can soon plan a dyno session, and it will be interesting to see how that goes. It certainly feels a lot quicker than last year already.

User avatar
grelland
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 am

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:22 am

Replaced the starter yesterday, and that was indeed the problem :) Now I can take it for longer test drives without my son following me in another car ;)

User avatar
grelland
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 am

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 am

No major incidents lately, and the tuning is making the engine respond better :)

I even took the Ghia to work today, so confidence is getting higher.
jobb juni.jpg
I still have some synchronizing issues right off idle, but it is getting better, and I must say the engine runs WAY better than last year. Cant wait to get on the dyno to see some numbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
andy198712
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by andy198712 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am

great!!

i had the same deal with ALPHA-N, speed density was "ok" but TPS tune was better for ITB's in my limited experiance on GSXR bodies. they don't give a good map signal and its jumpy too.
i'm actually going back to single TB behind the 911 shroud with a small plenum.... sound familiar? ;)

User avatar
grelland
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 am

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 am

andy198712 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am
great!!

i had the same deal with ALPHA-N, speed density was "ok" but TPS tune was better for ITB's in my limited experiance on GSXR bodies. they don't give a good map signal and its jumpy too.
i'm actually going back to single TB behind the 911 shroud with a small plenum.... sound familiar? ;)
Hehe sounds familiar, yes :)

I would consider a centrally mounted TB again, and I am having some thoughts, but I need to get this setup running first. The main reason why I abanoned my Porsche fan setup was that I had a cheap shroud with no internal vanes in it, so I wanted a better cooling setup. If I could combine good looks with T1 shroud, single TB and performance to match the 160-180 bhp in my 2110 oxy, I would be happy :) Biggest hurdle is the alternator placement imo.

User avatar
grelland
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 am

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm

We were going on a local sportscar event on Wednesday, but on the way there, a dreadful noise developed, and we turned around, and headed home. It turned out that the plate behind the alternator hade come loose, so the fan hit the shroud. Thankfully a small issue, but noisy..

I have been having som small oil leaks here and there, and a fried tipped me that the GB breather box might not be optimal, so I took the top off it and had a look inside the inlet to the filter foam:
åndehatt.jpg
And this small opening is WAY smaller than the original system with a 12 mm and a 19mm hole that vents the case.

So to improve a little bit I removed the inside tin entirely, so now there is a 23mm opening into the foam filter, so it will be a lot better at least:
hattinnmat.jpg
hattskum.jpg
So I hope this will be better until I find a more permanent solution.

So this is how the engine looks at present:
motor 2018.jpg
I will be making some improvements still, but now I just want to drive this thing ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply