1.9 WBX turbo project - ideas / questions

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
Mabbo

1.9 WBX turbo project - ideas / questions

Post by Mabbo »

Hello,

I have an early 1.9 WBX that is sitting under the table at the workshop. I was pretty set on going down the Oxyboxer route with it, but, I kinda miss my old turbo type 1 engine. I was running a 1955cc type 1 engine (76x90.5) with Megasquirt and a T3 turbo. This will be a 'in my spare time' project.

I also have a few parts lying around I could use, such as a good used Web 86B on 112 lobes from my friends old 2276 turbo motor. So, I'm considering turboing the WBX and fitting it to my Beetle :)

If I was to rebuild the 1.9 and get the bottom end balanced, fit the Web 86B cam (I guess I would need to convert to Type 1 lifters?), fit Type 1 duel valve springs to the heads and maybe port them a little, would anything else need upgrading? The rods / bolts OK? Std cam bearings OK or should/can I use the duel thrust Type 1 style?

I would make my own exhaust header, I assume 1 1/2" would be best as 1 5/8" is a bit on the big side? Then use a T3 turbo or something similar.

Prob Megasquirt 1 V3 to control fuel and spark with a single throttle body and maybe modified WBX injection manifolds/plenum.

Cooling I havent thought too much about. I dont like the look of big holes in the front for the radiator, so maybe I could position it above the gearbox with ducting from the side windows and from under the car?

What sort of problems could I face?
What sort of power will the 1.9 make running around 14psi?
Does anything else need upgrading?

Thanks
Mabbo

Re: 1.9 WBX turbo project - ideas / questions

Post by Mabbo »

Just thought. Would cut to length pushrods and Type 1 style 1.4 rockers and shafts fit without any additional work?
Joe vw

Re: 1.9 WBX turbo project - ideas / questions

Post by Joe vw »

I think Marco was making around 225 hp with a turboed used stock 1.9.
these are for your lifters:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=727505
1.4s will work but you have to do some mods for high lift the wasser springs are short.
Doing a performance valve job and sinking the seats will push the stems higher and Berg has some retainers that increase the installed height.
Use the double thrust cam bearings -stock on 2.1.
My engine mounted radiator conversion works very well in my buggy and having an engine driven fan helps. I want to eventually put it in a project beetle I have. You would have to build your own:

I would have the rods rebuilt just for good measure. no need to lower the compression
I would think about an intercooler with 14 lbs of boost.
you might need to upgrade your clutch.
If your heads are corroded you can do my simple mod: run no head gaskets, only O-rings shave the profile gasket surface 1mm and the piston tops 1mm - works great and will boost your compression a little. Don't worry much about compression these engines are very Det resistant. I am running 9lbs of boost with 9 to 1 with no intercooler in my heavy vanagon with no problem.

Keep us posted