waterboxer pics

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
Passatman

waterboxer pics

Post by Passatman »

Can someone post pictures of the mating surface of the waterboxer water pump, also can you post pics of the area on the block where the pump goes.
AMBROSIA

Re: waterboxer pics

Post by AMBROSIA »

Don't have a clean one of the pump.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Thanks ambrosia but on the side where the water enters is that portion of the matting surface recessed.

I am going to post a picture of my waterboxer pump area for comparison. Also is there an alternate mechanical pump we can use if we don't want to use the original waterboxer pump.
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

The pump has a groove where an o ring sits, the block side is totally flat.
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

I think this may be what you are asking about: sometimes you see the flat pump mating surface on the crankcase worn away by the backside of the impeller due to running the pump after its bearings are already shot. This does not render the case unusable, as you can see from the pic above of the pump impeller, the working clearance of the centrifugal impeller is to the pump body volute, not to the crankcase. On a good pump the impeller will be kept in the close relationship to the volute of the pump body, so long as that clearance is held the impeller will move water like it should, extra clearance between impeller and crankcase surface won't affect flow.

You could fill the depressed area with epoxy and file it flat if it makes you feel better.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Thanks i am going to post some photos anyway.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

O.k. as promised this is the photo of my 2.1ltr waterboxer waterpump area.

http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr23 ... p_area.jpg
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

On all the vanagon waterboxer engines I grind, weld and re-machine the pump area. Rocky
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Hey! how are you doing rocky, glad to see you here. By any chance could you use an electric waterpump for a daily driven engine. Also would i be in any danger if i went ahead and used my new waterpump on this engine.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Electric water pumps are race only parts.