Long life Bus engine

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
wildthings

Long life Bus engine

Post by wildthings »

I have had very good luck with ACVW engines in general, and am now thinking about building a Oxyboxer to put in either an early Bay or a Thing. I am really looking for an engine that I can build and then just keep running for decades without having to worry about overheating or just plain blowing up. I guess the question is "what piston and jug size is going to give me good performance and not going to give me undue heat issues". Would just as soon stick with a stock 76mm 2.1 crank if that is reasonably feasible.
tmatre

Re: Long life Bus engine

Post by tmatre »

I’m building an oxyboxer for my 69 Early Westfalia Camper now
I’m using AA thick walled 92mm liners, CB2280 camshaft and cb044 heads and a type-4 oil cooler in the doghouse. I will also add one additional thermostat controlled oil cooler with fan if needed.
I still want to have some heat in the bus, and is using the flanged Bugpack heat exchangers with larger j pipe inside.
I also got the Mexico EFI end castings and plenium and will try it on this combo.The butterfly is small, but hopefully it will work OK up to 5K rpm. I think I will be using Megasquirt EFI, but also thinking about using the EFI from the 2.1 WBX engine.
Hopefully I will have the engine installed in the en d of this summer.
I have not heard about many others building oxyboxer for a high torque engine in a bus…
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but I am wanting a T1 replacement with the grunt and dependability of a T4. I kind of had in mind using 90.5 piston with the stock 76mm crank. Will consider using 92 mm pistons. Any thoughts on the difference in cooling between the two?

How far are you from actually doing the work and getting a working rig on the road?
tmatre

Post by tmatre »

wildthings wrote:Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but I am wanting a T1 replacement with the grunt and dependability of a T4. I kind of had in mind using 90.5 piston with the stock 76mm crank. Will consider using 92 mm pistons. Any thoughts on the difference in cooling between the two?

How far are you from actually doing the work and getting a working rig on the road?
I’m waiting for more parts ordered from VWParts at the moment…
The block is machined and ready, cylinders must be machined down a bit when I get them. I had to order new ones as the first set was damaged in the mail.
I do not think there will be time to install the new engine before the summer holyday, but hopefully I will be able to start the engine in the engine stand before summer, then install in the capmer before winter storage.
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

Sounds like you are several months ahead of me. I will be following your build. What part of the country are you in?
tmatre

Post by tmatre »

In the west (Rogaland) of Norway :-)
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

Guess I should have said, what part of the world are you in. Don't think I will just be dropping by every few Saturdays to see how your build is coming along. :|
tmatre

Post by tmatre »

The engine is now finally mounted in my Camper, and I have started to tune.

The torque is much better than the old 1600DP, and I love hydraulic lifters! The engine sounds nice!
There is not much power above 4500 rpm, but this is a bus engine, and I do not thin i will miss the high revs...
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Basically the heads will need servicing at 40K miles in a bus no matter how you cut it. You can get long, long miles out of the bottom end. Make sure to replace the valves, springs, etc. and have the heads checked every 40K miles. One dropped exhaust valve and your investment is poof.
fastback

Post by fastback »

nice :) please post some dyno results if you get some
tmatre

Post by tmatre »

fastback wrote:nice :) please post some dyno results if you get some
No dyno results.. and no plans for dyno at the moment.

When I see the results from your ambulance in the Dynapack to day I do not know if i will post my "small numbers"
Well done Jørn!
http://www.vwnorge.no/index.php/topic,1110.1410.html
fastback

Post by fastback »

thx :) Hey .. those "small" numbers are just as interesting!
13window

Post by 13window »

I've been thinking about this for some time now, but with all the talk of mouse moters I was thinking of turning a 1900 into a 1600 with some light weight pistons from a calibra turbo for a start and some kind of twin scroll turbo( possibly a td04) and fi.

going to stay with the hydrolic lifters and havent given the cam or rocckers any thought at the moment.

will be going in a 64 bus

any comments welcome.

Fastback your bus rocks