WBX damage from overheating

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
Vee Dub Nut

WBX damage from overheating

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Got a question for you knowledgeable WBXers.... I'm looking at picking up a WBX engine for a possible turbo build in a Type 1 application. I've got a lead on a local 2.1 long block that was a running engine that overheated and was pulled and swapped for a different engine. The PO says it was still running after the overheating issue, but not running well, so it was replaced instead of being repaired (no local shops turn wrenches on these). Don't have any other real history other than it does have a set of AMC heads in it, so it has been rebuilt before I would guess.

My question is, what kind of damage is typical on these engines from overheating? I'd obviously be looking to rebuild an engine for my project, but would the potential damage be far beyond the repairs you would expect in a standard rebuild? From researching, I'm thinking I'd want to get the 2.2L jugs and pistons from gowesty, cam to complement the turbo, stock rods with upgraded bolts, stock crank, t4 flywheel, AMC heads (stock valve size and ports, but better valves), and ????

I'm not looking for 500-600+ hp like some guys are impressively getting, but I'd LOVE to get 300hp or more in a package more reliable than a t1 engine

So... Pick it up if I can get a good price, or stay away from trouble?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

67 Beetle
74 Transporter (SOHC EJ25)

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
fastback

Re: WBX damage from overheating

Post by fastback »

i would guess warped and/or cracked cyl head.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If there is no oil in water evidence,and it turns over (preferably compression check on a Bus trans, no dead holes) and of course the price is right...$100 sounds good :twisted: (OK, I spent $75 for a pair of clean, freshened 1.9 heads awhile back, and a 2.1 shortblock from a VW shop here in dallas area--- They had no use for it, and wanted it gone)

I'd COUNT on a new set of heads or at LEAST getting the existing ones fully reworked, as the AMC valves/seats out of the box are made from old bean cans or similar. (That's why GoWesty et al all rework them before they'll sell them)

Finding used heads that are NOT cracked between the valves is a rarity, so since you likely need them reworked fully in any case... You may still have repairable cores.

The crank alone is probably worth more that $100, but you will want better rods.

The 228 flywheel can be turned back to better fit in a T1 trans bellhousing if that is the plan.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Vee Dub Nut

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Thanks for the input guys... I'm still toying with whether or not I'm going to bother with the engine. The owners asking price is higher than what I personally think its worth knowing now what damage may have been incurred, but he's open to offers so it could easily be brought back in line.

As I said in my original post, its just been a rouge idea rolling around up in my head. No solid plans as to what the engine would end up in, I think it would just be neat to do something different than a type 1. That being said, I need another project like I need a hole in the head :roll:

67 Beetle

fastback

Post by fastback »

i asume u have a stock US spec "low comp" 2,1 version
a stock engine on E-85 fuel this get's u in the 300HP region on 15'ish psi boost.
Vee Dub Nut

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

fastback wrote:i asume u have a stock US spec "low comp" 2,1 version
a stock engine on E-85 fuel this get's u in the 300HP region on 15'ish psi boost.
Yes, I assume it would be the low comp 2.1L, but I haven't seen it in person yet to confirm engine numbers.

That's what really has me tempted though... a stock bottom end engine that is more robust than the type 1, that can pretty easily get me up around 300hp at reasonable boost levels.

I also like the idea of watercooling, not necessarily the idea of installing a radiator, but being able to more effectively control engine temp. Heat is my biggest battle with my current turbo type1 setup down here in South Texas. I just plain CANT keep my foot in except for short spans due to outrageous head temp climb rates. For the most part its no big deal as I run out of flat road quickly, but if I get out and boost up any long hills out in the hill country the heads will be blazing by the end of it.

67 Beetle