OXY newbie

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
58Dub

OXY newbie

Post by 58Dub »

Well, after a few years of talking about doing a Oxy conversion, I'm going to give it a try. The wife and kids got me a 1.9 engine core for Christmas, I guess she got tired of listening to me plan. The engine looks to be in pretty good condition. Very clean inside, standard bearings on both mains and rods. I would have to guess the engine was freshened up not to long ago...as the pistons are very clean, no oil deposits on the underside, rods are as clean as if they just came out of a box, someone added a engel w125 cam. Based on one piston, I think its pretty obvious why it was pulled. Also, the pistons seem to have valve notches that look to be cut by hand...maybe a die grinder?? or at least not from a machine shop.
So things will start slow...as I've been out of work for 4.5 months, but I pulled it apart and will start cleaning things up. I have been reading about doing this for quite a while...but I'm sure I'll be here with questions.
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buildabiggerboxer

Re: OXY newbie

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

odd one that, its a pre 'b' early case with the T4 no 1 main, the late cases use a 3 piece bearing and have about 2mm more height in the case , the ports have been worked and the pistons are T1 by the look of them, the compression ratio must have been very very high indeed, probably why it detonated, someone tried hard with a little T1 knowledge but slipped up on the compression and piston to valve clearance, the wasser pistons are dished, the engle 125 isnt ideal in a wasser either, the lifter bores need bushing for the larger T1 lifters. no doubt it can live again though. good luck.
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

Thrust bearing looks galled from axial movement. Check that, it's almost sure to be loose, and good luck with getting an oversize bearing if it is. The #1 is not a Type4, it is unique to the 1.9 wbx, the ID and OD is same as Type4 but it's narrower in width. Offsize ones have been so hard to get that outfits that are willing to deal with the 1.9 make their own bearings, leading to some interesting outcomes. The other 3 mains are Type1.

I won't even deal with 1.9 cases because every one that as come my way has had a loose thrust. The cases go out for scrap. The late bearing design is infinitely superior and only about 30 years too late on VW's part.

A certified idiot built the top end.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

You mean the 3 part design yh? On 2.1's and "B" 1.9 cases is that right?

Nice to see some more oxy builds going as I'm looking at strafing one too!
58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

the thrust surface measures out ok, so I'll stick with what I have.

A question on the flywheel. I have seen on some posts that folks add dowel pins between the 5 bolts. Is this a needed mod??..or is it overkill for peace of mind?
grelland

Post by grelland »

From what i have found out it is not needed. I will not do it on mine at least.
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

The 5 dowels are not needed? I 5 dowel all the engines I do that mite go to the track. Call it over kill if you want I call it smart! I have seen the sheared off stock style bolts before junk crank & flywheel. Don't drag race with out the 5 dowels. The flywheels I sell have the 5 dowel holes already drilled. Rocky
58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

thanks Rocky..seems like easy insurance.
58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

can anyone tell me what thread the filter mount is? Its a 1.9L, I think 1984 or 85.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ED2.4

Post by ED2.4 »

Hi, thread is 19mmx150
58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

ED2.4 wrote:Hi, thread is 19mmx150
thanks! :D

so here is what I am looking to replace it with. I have looked at a few sites, but they only list 18mm. anyone have a source?

so I went to the Fram filter website, and a filter for a 85 VW 1.9 Vanagon shows a 3/4 - 16 thread for the filter.
Either way, I still havent found one.
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

M19 x 1.5 is close, but the nipple is not metric, it is 3/4"-16 tpi all the way.

No idea where you might find an adapter like that, but you might try B.A.T., but call them, I doubt that would be in their catalog.:

http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm

But you know that's the oil return into the main galley, right? If you want to take off and return oil thru the filter flange you should just use a block-off adapter, BAT has one of those in the catalog, listed as for a VW VR6.

Or maybe you mean to come off the oil pump to do a full-flow like the aircooled crowd does, but you'd gain nothing and add complication that way vs. using the blockoff adapter. The oil pump outlet is a straight shot to the filter flange as it is.
58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

yes, I know its the return. My plan is to run a drysump system, with the sump scavenge being pulled from an external connection.
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

Just for reference, -8 ORB has 3/4-16 threads. Any place that carries AN fittings should have -8 ORB to -8 and -10 AN flare adapters.
58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

Just wanted to stop in and dust off this post. Im back working on the project...with a couple changes. Ive got things set with Rocky to machine up a 2.1 case instead of the 1.9 that I had. Will be going with a 80mm crank from DPR, CB Performance 5.5 rods, AA thick wall 92 cyls and JE pistons. For heads I was looking at either MOFOCO 050 or CB 044 CNC Mini Wedge Port (42 x 37.5) . Ive got a turbo on the way from Shag ,Sl-1 racing.
Feels good to see the project starting to move again.