Turbo wbx

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
westypoo

Turbo wbx

Post by westypoo »

I thought since I always look in this wbx forum, I'd go ahead and post my motor. It's a stock 2.1, running megasquirt 1 3.57 board, controlling fuel and spark, I'm using the factory distributor for spark, fuel rails are cb performance units, injectors are 20lbs. a bit on the small side but I'm not running lean as of yet (looking to get bigger injectors) , turbo header is a modified cb performance unit, turbo is off a volvo. It's a TD04HL 13G unit. I'm still in the tuning process, but it's fast at only 8lbs of boost. I have no idea what its putting out right now as far as #'s go, but I'm not wanting to boost this thing to the moon either. I just want a good street/ track friendly 200hp. I would like to try 10lbs of boost once I get a better tune on it. I'm mainly working on the spark map really. Well on to the pics.
ImageImage
buildabiggerboxer

Re: Turbo wbx

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

I like lots, DJ or MV? , its good to see someone going their own way, the stretched tyre look is bang on, stuff the purists, we all know the neg will come in, but it rocks, first neg from me tho,,,lol?
is that a water/air charge cooler, better be, no air flow up there for a air/air cooler, it will just get hotter and hotter to the point were its doing nothing, but please keep the info coming.
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

Nice!
I plan on doing this to my Ghia. Stock MV with Saab turbo and injection, but with my cooling system.
I have the same In my Vanagon running 8-9 lbs of boost. Its slightly quicker than my 190hp V6 Passat. I would limit it to 10 lbs of boost with stock pistons. If you take it to the track I'm curious what it runs.
Before you continue tuning I would replace the injectors. The Saab and Volvo ones are 34lbs I believe.
When the time comes and your happy with the tune, would you mind sharing your tuning maps?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

@buildabiggerboxer thanks... Glad you like it. :-) I wanted to build a proper German look super Beetle but put some of today's styling trends into it and I feel I did that with out going over the top.

As for the intercooler it is air/to air. I do plan on running some fans to help aid in keeping the intake temp in check. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll have to go air/ water. I wanted to try it so I could keep things simple. But we will see. The car still needs an interior, and a few more odds and ends before I can call it done. The motor I'm not sure what it is other then it's a 2.1L, Where do I look for the case code? The motor does have a set of the newer amc heads on it.

@joe vw oh that's cool you have a turbo we vanagon. Post up some pics of it. What you running it on for injection?
Is 10lbs all they can handle? I've read and herd they can take 20lbs, but again that could be way off. But I do have a spare 2.1 motor that I'm gonna start building so it can be more suited for turbo use. And Ya I have no issues sharing my maps once I get them with a good solid tune.
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

Here's an older photo. Its in storage for the winter.
Bosch LH 2.2 from an 80s Volvo 740 turbo + the complete ignition system and turbo.
10lbs with stock compression and pistons is safe in a vanagon you could get away with more in a beetle and low intake temps with a good tune.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Oh ice. It's nice to put a name to your build. Reason I say that is cause I've seen your pics hear and their and your build was also an inspiration for my build.
A question tho... What is your total timing at? I've been trying to figure it out on mine.
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

I believe I went by the Bentley Vanagon manual. And the map was very similar to the NA side Volvo 740 turbo. I too, set the total timing for engine safety, Works out perfect. I don't have my manuals handy. I'll check this weekend.
I have pushed my Vanagon hard enough to severely melt an air-cooled engine with 9 lbs. of boost 9 to1 compression and no intercooler.
Adding an efficient intercooler would add even more safety margin.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Thanks man. Would either greatly appreciated. Ya the vanagon motors are great. I'm gonna start hording them. Lol.
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

Is that color House of Kolor's Limetime, or is the color on my phone deceiving me?
Jim
My 1973 Karmann Ghia---> http://www.73ghia.com
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Nope.... Its actually a factory color that was only available on 1975 hard top super Beetle. All 1975 supers where a special edition called La Grande. It's called Viper metallic green. Paint code is L98B. Only other vw that got that color factory was the vw sirocco.
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

Well I'll be derned... Pretty snappy shade.
Jim
My 1973 Karmann Ghia---> http://www.73ghia.com