High oil consumption on fresh 2.2 WBX, where's my oil going?

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
Pascal

High oil consumption on fresh 2.2 WBX, where's my oil going?

Post by Pascal »

I have 5000K on my rebuilt WBX. Oil consumption is about 1 liter/ 500 Miles. I figured it would slow down as the engine got broken in but its not. I figure the rings or the valves were not sealing properly so I did a leakdown test this week. Motor was cold when I did the test but this is what I measured: Cylinder # 1 has about 10% leakdown, and the other 3 cylinders have less than 5% leakdown. I figured those numbers are OK and not the cause of the excess oil consumption.

I've done the Hoover HVX mods, installed type 1 intake valve seals, the heads are new Go Westy AMC heads, the pistons and liners are the Go Westy 2.2 J&E. I have Scatt I beam rods, a DPR counterweight crank, Rocky Jennings cam with 1.25 rockers. I also did the Tencentlife oil pick up tube mode and blueprinted the oil pump. I also have a new OE breather tower.

I sealed the case up with Curil K2 and all the nuts with Curil T, and have the Sabo main seal and all the galley plugs tapped and sealed with plugs.

Despite all my efforts at sealing it properly it is leaking a bit of oil along the crankcase seam but not enough to account for the high oil consumption. One thing that I did that surprised me was I took off the oil fill cap after maybe a 100 miles and it threw oil out the oil filler pipe and stalled the engine. I figured that was a lot of ring blowby and was causing the oil to weep out of the case halves or the main seal. I've taken the filler cap off after a few thousand miles and it does not do that anymore.

The spark plugs look normal after 5000K and the tail pipe looks clean. Other than a little lumpy idle, the engine runs strong. I'm just stumped at the high oil consumption. Anyone have any thoughts on where my oil is going? Thanks
Pascal
84 Westy
The Newf

Re: High oil consumption on fresh 2.2 WBX, where's my oil go

Post by The Newf »

If it isn't ending up on the ground,it's going out the exhaust pipe.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

As you suspect, it has blow by, so nothing more to do but pull the head, start with the 1/2 side and check that suspect #1 cyl ring pack, all it takes is an upside down fitted top or middle ring, oil rings are also fairly easy to break, it's possible to split the case and leave the 3/4 side intact if you remove the rocker shaft that side to unload the cam, then attend to the case split leak.
fastback

Post by fastback »

just curious, what lifters are you using?
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

How about a clogged or restricted breather tower?
Oil out the filler sounds like the crankcase isn't venting.
With low leakdown numbers the blow-by shouldn't be bad.
I would pull the breather tower and check it before pulling the heads.
NO ventilation will push oil down the guides.
Are you sure you aren't overfilling the engine with Oil? Wrong dipstick, or non seating dipstick tube causing false readings?
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

Are you taking it easy on the motor?

Find a hill, drive up and come down using only engine braking .

Do a leak down and check. Otherwise use an adaptor to put shop air through the spark plugs and listen for the leak. Bring each cylinder you check at tdc or bdc. Watch your fingers 100psi will move the piston if not on tdc.
Hope it helps.
My welding sucks .